VP, Investor Relations at Upwork
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
The VP Investor Relations will report to the CFO and will lead the strategy and development of our investor relations (“IR”) story to develop investor confidence and belief in our vision and strategy for delivering shareholder value. The VP IR will be a key collaborator with our other financial leaders in the Controller and FP&A functions in helping the CFO organization scale for growth and be World Class. A background in internet marketplaces and experience leading investor relations for a publicly traded company will set you up for success. This is an exciting time for Upwork, and we are looking for the right leader to own our IR function and share our story.Responsibilities:Positioning & Strategy
- Develop, plan and execute a comprehensive, strategic investor relations program to increase Upwork’s visibility with the investment community
- Assist with the ongoing refinement of key messaging and market positioning based on company performance, market perception, expectations, peer performance and relative valuation
- Develop and provide counsel on key metrics, guidance progression, and disclosure policies
- Analyze internal and external forecasts, data, and assumptions to provide aggregated view of expectations and implications for stock price and investor and analysts perception
- Build a targeted investor strategy with current and potential investors
- Manage relationships with Wall Street sell-side analysts and broaden exposure to sell-side analysts and investors
- Advise on optimal communications for analysts and investors including post-earnings call messaging for each
- Speak to investors on behalf of Upwork
- Plan, manage and attend investor events, investor and analyst meetings, roadshows and conference calls and manage relationship with the stock exchange (Nasdaq)
- Collaborate cross-functionally to gain a deep understanding of Upwork’s business and ensure that corporate messaging is consistent
- Craft and communicate messaging around financial results, strategy, growth opportunities and business initiatives to analysts and investors
- Manage the process for quarterly earnings process – preparation of materials including earnings conference call scripts, press releases, Q&A documents, and other associated materials for sell-side and buy-side post-earnings calls
- Advise and update investor presentation and accompanying voiceover for investor conferences, 1x1 meetings and non-deal roadshows
- Provide guidance on IR website and corporate content
- Monitor analyst and peer estimates, consensus estimates, sell-side research, and market-related trends impacting valuation and perception
- Stay informed on relevant macro and sector news flow and trends; monitor and communicate internally about competitive information
- High integrity and a passion for Upwork’s mission!
- Structured thinking: comfort with numbers, details, and ambiguity and a collaborative working style
- Communication skills and presence: Ability to express oneself clearly and concisely with excellent written and verbal communications
- Critical thinking and autonomy to solve problems with minimal direct supervision and comfort working in a highly dynamic environment where your voice will be heard, and your decisions will have a significant impact
- Enthusiasm or familiarity with internet, technology trends and startups and a deep understanding of two sided marketplaces
- A leadership background in investor relations with a public company and experience with B2B, Marketplace or SaaS businesses
- Strong network within investor community including relationships with the buy-side and sell-side internet analysts
- History of seeing companies develop and grow both SMB and Enterprise offerings
- Equity research experience in technology, internet, marketplaces or software industries with an investment bank
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. We’re a remote-first organization supported by offices in Santa Clara and Chicago, working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals.
Our vibrant culture is built on shared values and our mission to create economic opportunities so that people have better lives. We build amazing teams, put our community first, and have a bias toward action. We encourage everyone to bring their whole selves to work and grow together through development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. Oh yeah, we’ve also got amazing benefits.
Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.