Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
Discover Financial Services is a direct banking and payment services company with one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. Since its inception in 1986, the company has become one of the largest card issuers in the United States. The company issues the Discover card, America's cash rewards pioneer, and offers private student loans, personal loans, home equity loans, checking and savings accounts and certificates of deposit through its direct banking business. It operates the Discover Global Network comprised of Discover Network, with millions of merchant and cash access locations; PULSE, one of the nation's leading ATM/debit networks; and Diners Club International, a global payments network with acceptance in 190 countries and territories.
Discover’s vision is to be the leading direct bank and payments partner and its mission is to help people spend smarter, manage debt better and save more so they achieve a brighter financial future.
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
The Director, Compensation is responsible for leading the design, implementation and ongoing evaluation of the effectiveness of Discover’s compensation programs including broad-based and executive compensation programs. This leader will ensure the design and administration of compensation programs that meet objectives and align with Discover's overall strategic initiatives in a large complex organization.
This Director will guide and direct teams on the application of policies ensuring effective and robust support to the business as well as HR partners in addition to facilitating the preparation of Board materials and relevant leadership meetings. This leader will develop strategies and designs Interacts with all levels of employees for interpretation of compensation programs while sustaining the ability to attract, retain and motivate talent.
- Define and directs critical strategic implementation of compensation tactical and operational objectives to align with Corporate strategic plans ensuring internal and external regulatory compliance for compensation related requirements.
- Design and develop executive and broad-based compensation programs to support the overall business strategies.
- Direct the evaluation, development and implementation of complex compensation policies and programs that support the short and long term business strategy of the organization, enabling it to attract, retain and motivate talented employees.
- Assist executives in defining short and long-term strategic needs for the function by influencing actions, policy making at highest levels and action strategic needs into business plans with a significant long-term impact.
- Provides ongoing direction and guidance to direct team on the application of policy, design, development and management of initiatives or programs.
- Ensures team's ability to provide effective and robust analytics and strategic support to HR partners and business.
- Initiate various analysis projects and the design of new or special compensation programs designed to address particular market and business needs.
- Interacts with internal customers on compensation needs and interpretation and implementation of corporate compensation policies and programs to sustain employee motivation, retention and on the risks of unintended consequences of inappropriate programs.
- Manages outside consultants for compensation related initiatives such as development of tailored programs or ongoing program initiatives (e.g. pay equity) adhering to the budget.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 12+ years of experience in Compensation, Human Resources, Consulting or a related field. In lieu of a degree, 15+ years of experience required.
- 4+ years of experience with compensation design (broad-based or executive).
- 3+ years of people leadership experience.
- 3+ years of experience supporting and facilitating compensation committee meetings.
- Financial Services or Banking industry experience preferred.
- PHR/SPHR or CCP certifications preferred.
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.