Director, Diversity & Inclusion
McDonald’s is proud to be one of the most recognized brands in the world, with restaurants in over 100 countries and billions of customers served each year. As the international leader in the food service industry, we have a legacy of innovation and hard work that continues to drive us. Today, we are growing with velocity and are focused on modernizing our experiences, not to make a different McDonald’s but to build a better McDonald’s.
We are a people business just as much as a restaurant business. We strive to be the most inclusive brand on the planet by building diverse teams who create delicious, feel good moments that are easy for everyone to enjoy. Joining McDonald's means thinking big every day and preparing for a career that can have impact around the world.
We are dedicated to using our scale for good: good for people, our industry and the planet. From bold recycling initiatives and sustainable sourcing efforts to our partnership with Ronald McDonald House Charities, we see every day as a chance to have a genuine impact on our customers, our people and our partners.
Our new, state-of-the art headquarters is located in the booming West Loop area in the heart of downtown Chicago. It is set up to be a global hub that cultivates innovation: take a class at Hamburger University, sample future menu items in our Test Kitchen, and utilize the latest technology to stay in touch with your team around the globe. With monthly organized events, massive outdoor spaces, an 8000 square foot gym, and an onsite McDonald's serving international favorites, our office helps us connect with each other like never before. Needless to say, you’ll be lovin’ it here
The main purpose of this role is to provide leadership in cultivating a versatile work environment where individual differences are recognized, accepted, valued and brought to bear for business success. You will also serve as the Lead and first point of contact for all McDonald’s employee business networks and resource groups throughout the enterprise. Create and implement “Diversity IS Inclusion” programs and plans to support the development and engagement of the employee networks that are aligned with and drive strategic objectives. Serves as the Diversity & Inclusion Strategic Partner to the US Business. Manages the Diversity Metrics program. Resolves conflicts, mediates diversity/inclusion disputes, and coaches on diversity is inclusion leadership techniques throughout the global organization. Oversees the effective liaison with specified national and/or local organizations to deliver key mutually beneficial partnerships and relationships. Serves as a champion for Diversity IS Inclusion by ensuring D&I is effectively embedded throughout his/her work individually and when collaborating with people across the organization and externally.
Employee Business Networks Lead
- Provide leadership and guidance to EBN and Resource groups for higher engagement and execution of networks’ plans.
- Ensure there is clear governance and guidelines for effectively leading and managing networks in McDonald’s.
- Consistently review and update governance, guidelines and orientation materials to remain current and relevant for network enhancement.
- Consistently evaluates assigned relationships with national strategic partners and organizations that impact McDonald’s business.
- Drives the McDonalds Head Quarter chapters and field planning process around networks/ERGs.
- Use and manage networks/ERGs to drive greater business impact.
- Provides advice and counsel to cross-functional teams focused on creating innovative solutions that support business imperatives.
Using and Influencing Resources
- You will build strong coalitions with assigned community partners to address comprehensive diversity issues aligned with McDonald’s goals and objectives.
- Expansion of networks/ERGs goals for a more equitable approach to community, employee development and business imperatives.
- You are able to provide COE (community of expertise) support to all partners.
- Capable of overseeing the department’s overall budget and setting budget for EBN
- Have the ability create offers recommendations on those external community organizations which McDonald’s should consider engaging.
- Provides advice and counsel to all areas of the business on D&I matters.
- With your track record of success driving cultural change within an organization, you will help bring this vision to life with expanded programs and widespread understanding of the importance of building a D&I environment.
- Are you able to collaborate with EBN leaders to provide versatile professional development activities by using internal courses and external organizations’ standard methodologies and tools?
- Able to manage and provide consultation, tools and resources to align EBN activities with business goals and objectives.
- Use and support EBN members to serve as brand ambassadors
- You are cable of providing digital solutions to support EBN communications and other business.
- You can build and bring to bear EBNs to support our culture evolution and strategy.
- You know how to provide one-on-one coaching and consultation as needed to drive a more reciprocal and broad EBN culture.
- You have the skills to manage, assess and identify inclusion-related subject-matter expertise support and coordinate assistance from both internal and external sources.
- Inspire our employees to be the change.
- Stay current with leading research on D&I initiatives and topics.
Critical Success Factors
- Do you have the ability to effectively indoctrinate ‘Diversity IS Inclusion’ into the McDonald’s culture via the employee networks?
- Are you able to build solid EBN succession plans and flawlessly execute for a continued growth and enhancement of the networks?
- Do you have the ability to plan and flawlessly execute large network summits and other events?
- You are capable of demonstrating strong leadership across the department.
- Masterful facilitation of D&I and cultural enrichment workshops/seminars.
- You are a well-respected partner in the external strategic engagement community.
- Effectively manage, plan and executing conference activations and other external engagements.
- Stay on top of trends, standard methodologies and inclusion-related matters. Develop short- and long-term plans for improving D&I goals and crafting innovative solutions.
- Be a team-player and trusted advisor to McDonalds Leadership, Business Resource Groups, and the broader organization.
- You embody strong project management skills.
- You are a critical thinker that exhibits curiosity and have the skill to look “outside in”
- Self-starter, great teammate and solutions focused.
- Networking and relationship building skills.
- Excellent conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to influence others outside of direct line of control, management
- Strong written and oral communications.
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced, multi-tasking, deadline focused and vibrant environment.