Director of Recruiting
JELLYVISION NEEDS A DIRECTOR OF RECRUITING (WITH TECH RECRUITING CHOPS)
We here at Jellyvision are the proud parents of ALEX®, an interactive employee communications platform that happens to share some DNA (and a sense of humor) with the smash-hit trivia video game YOU DON’T KNOW JACK®, created by Jellyvision's founder. ALEX makes navigating tricky decisions—like choosing and using employee benefits or improving your financial wellness—easier, faster, and more helpful, not to mention entertaining. The success of the ALEX platform has exceeded our wildest dreams, (except for the part right before we woke up where our mom was riding a giraffe), which is why we need talented folks like you to help us help ALEX take over the world…er…continue to grow and succeed.
THAT’S LOVELY… BUT WHAT’S THE JOB?
Our new Director of Recruiting will work with head of the People team to evolve our recruiting strategy, manage the recruiting team, and build out our sourcing capabilities. The Director of Recruiting will also be a key player in our diversity efforts – ensuring that our sourcing efforts are helping us hire amazing folks who will diversify our workforce across many lines. To accomplish these mission critical tasks, we’re looking for someone who is whip-smart, well-networked, a great judge of character, super organized, diplomatic, quick-witted, and a great manager of people and processes. More specifically, the gig entails…
- Setting our Talent Acquisition Strategy. Jellyvision has a strong track record of hiring amazing folks at a rate of 80-100 new hires a year. We want to maintain the high-touch, fun, deep dive approach to recruiting that has worked well for us in the past – but we also need to grow and evolve as the company does. Working with the head of the People team, you will have primary responsibility for setting Jellyvision’s recruiting strategy so that our Recruiting team continues to grow and stay cutting edge; and then leading the recruiting team to execute on that strategy.
- Building out our sourcing capabilities. Jellyvision is fortunate to be a recognized brand in Chicago, and, as a result, much of our hiring doesn’t require sourcing. The exceptions? Tech and Sales. As we’ve grown, we haven’t been able to fill our dev team or our sales team with enough great people just based on inbound applications, so we’ve turned to outside recruiters to help us, and have built some great relationships. Now, as we look to the future, we are starting to add sourcing capabilities to our in-house recruiting team. And we’re looking for someone to take the reins of that effort and up our game on sourcing amazing talent more quickly. We’ll look to you to identify where future Jellyvision employees are hanging out and figure out how to introduce them to Jellyvision in a way that makes them active and eager participants in our process.
- Maintaining and elevating the Jellyvision employer brand. Recruiting at Jellyvision is a high-touch process – we know we ask a lot of candidates and so we want to treat them with the utmost respect and make the process as fun as it can be. As we add sourcing capabilities to our team, we want to do so with the same spirit of fun, warm, human interaction that we strive for in our recruiting practices every day because we believe that our employer brand lives or dies by how we treat people. And for projecting our brand externally, you’ll manage the folks that run our on-campus recruiting program; work with the marketing team and our amazing PR firm on how we market roles and Jellyvision as a place to work; and collaborate with hiring managers throughout the company on events we should attend and host to attract amazing, diverse candidates.
- Managing Jellyvision’s diversity recruiting efforts. We’re actively looking for diversity across many lines – and while we’re having great success in some ways, you’ll see we’re way behind where we’d like to be on racial diversity just by looking at our bio pics. You’ll work closely with our HR Manager tasked with leading our D&I efforts, and will find support from across the organization for this important effort.
- Working with hiring managers to understand our hiring needs. The better you understand the need, the better you can identify candidates who will be a good fit, so you’ll need to be good at asking the right questions of hiring managers to figure out the skills and characteristics we’re looking for in candidates, and where and why we’re struggling in recruiting those folks.
- Interviewing. While a big part of the role will be running the recruiting team, you’ll still have senior level searches of your own to run in this role. So you need to be really great at asking meaningful interview questions, listening closely to the answers, and following up until you’ve learned what you need to know to advise hiring managers on whether someone should move forward in the recruiting process.
- Hiring, training, and managing sourcing recruiters. As the company grows, we anticipate needing to grow our recruiting team beyond our two current recruiters – and we look forward to your recommendations on how to best do so. It will be your job to find skilled folks interested in bringing their talents to an in-house recruiting role. Then you’ll train them up and manage them – so if you’ve already got great recruiting talent in mind that you can tap when we need to hire, all the better.
WHAT KIND OF PERSON ARE WE LOOKING FOR? To be a great fit for this role, we’re looking for someone who is:
- A great teacher, trainer, leader of people and team builder. You’ll multiply the skills and experience you bring to the table by teaching others how to do what you do – motivating, managing and leading a team that takes Jellyvision’s recruiting to the next level.
- Data driven. By which we don’t mean obsessed with traditional recruiting metrics like time to hire (because sometimes the best thing a recruiter can do is counsel a hiring manager not to make the wrong hire), but rather someone who is constantly analyzing what’s working and what isn’t by digging into numbers and trends.
- A true people person. And we don’t just mean someone who can talk to anyone - being a great listener is actually more important in this role. You need to love learning by Q&A – asking the right questions and then listening carefully to the responses in order to understand what a hiring manager needs, how to work best with a potential recruiting partner, or what a candidate is all about.
- Entrepreneurial and full of creative ideas. There isn’t a playbook for the sourcing part of this position. We need someone who can come in, learn the lay of the land, and create one from scratch for us - and then constantly reassess and evolve as our rapidly growing business does, too. Being a lifelong student who wants to learn more, explore, test, and try something new will serve you (and us!) well.
- Creative and flexible in your approach to recruiting. Jellyvision’s approach to recruiting is different than many companies - and it’s served us well. As noted above, we don’t manage strictly to standard recruiting metrics - so we need someone with a flexible approach, but also a strong vision for how to motivate people to get great results.
- An amazing communicator. In person, on the phone, and in writing. You will be responsible for communicating both internally and externally with so many different folks in so many different roles that your communication skills really need to be excellent, and on brand for Jellyvision. No recruiting speak, please. (What does “works cross-functionally with internal teams to execute against objectives as assigned” actually tell anyone about a job?) Jellyvision has a specific voice that you’ll be responsible for getting out in the marketplace for talent – and you’ll need great communication skills to do it right.
- A master of project and time management. There are a lot of moving parts in recruiting, so we need a “git-r-done” person who won’t be overwhelmed by the volume of searches and activity that needs to be managed on a daily basis. There will be lots of people and projects vying for your attention, so if you aren’t an efficiency-minded person with a well-developed system for managing your time and your workload – and the time and workload of your team – you may not enjoy the position.
- With charm galore. We’re not talking sickly sweet or smarmy charm…we’re talking sincere, honest-to-goodness, we appreciate that you’re spending time with us charm. Recruiting is an extension of our brand. We think charm is part of that. And diplomacy. And wit, to be used liberally, when appropriate.
- Last but not least, a sense of humor is a must. It just makes you more fun to work with.
WHAT KINDS OF EXPERIENCE SHOULD YOU HAVE?
Ordinarily on the talent team, we look for DNA more than a specific background; but in this case, we’re looking for someone to bring expertise to the team that we don’t already have in house. As a result, we really need someone with experience doing what we need to learn to do. Specifically we’re looking for someone with:
- Experience sourcing candidates in the tech space. Our Director of Recruiting will own more than just tech recruiting – but because we anticipate that tech recruiting will be the toughest challenge you face (at least initially), we need someone with experience sourcing in the space.
- Experience managing recruiters. We’re looking for someone who’s managed people before – ideally people recruiting top talent in the tech/growth stage company space.
- Experience managing a recruiting process. It’s not just the people that you’ll be in charge of, it’s the process. We’ve got some non-negotiables about how Jellyvision wants to treat candidates in our recruiting process, but beyond that, we are wide open to suggestions for how to make our process better. And we’d love to find a data nerd with experience digging into numbers to track success and suggest ways to optimize recruiting processes.
- Experience with and ideas for diversity recruiting. As we move to a more active model of sourcing candidates, it opens up myriad opportunities to source more diverse talent. We’re looking for someone familiar with strategies and tactics to find the best talent by increasing diversity in the talent pipeline.
- Insight into how small companies recruit. We’re still a fairly small company, so we try to be flexible and scrappy in the way we do things. We don’t have a ton of structure, which could be either freeing or frustrating to folks who are used to a big company or agency atmosphere. The ideal candidate is someone who has either managed recruiting for a small company before, or has been involved in recruiting in a big company or agency and genuinely wants the opportunity to be a part of a more personalized, less bureaucratic, process. And also someone who knows that small companies strive to be effective without simply throwing money at problems. You’ve heard of guerilla marketing? We’re looking for guerilla recruiting.
ANYTHING ELSE? Yes. We share a commitment to excellence and a desire to work in a comfortable, friendly atmosphere, so we only hire nice, bright, funny people who are willing to work hard. Our credo is a simple one: be helpful. And we think we can be most helpful if our workforce is as diverse in thought, perspective, and culture as the people who use our products. We are looking to add amazing folks to our team who will bring diversity across many lines, including race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, sex, and country of origin.
ARE THERE ANY PERKS? Yes, we love perks.
- Competitive pay, 401(k) with matching and benefits. We pay 100% of the cost of premiums for medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance for our employees (as long as you qualify for our tobacco-free discount; if you’re a tobacco user, your medical premiums will be higher than $0). We also cover a really nice chunk of the cost of premiums for spouse/dependent medical, dental and vision insurance.
- Casual dress and a flexible schedule. Come in a sweatshirt, jeans, whatever, like everyone else here.
- Creative work environment. We are lucky to work in a place that is full of intelligent, talented and innovative folks. Although most hours the place is deathly quiet (we're a focused bunch), this is punctuated with hilarious outbursts and general merriment, which makes a nice way to spend the day.
- Free food. Every week, we stock our kitchen with free healthy snack foods, and we have a catered lunch every other week to give people a reason to hang out and eat together.
- Easy transportation and lots of love for folks who bike to work. We’re really close to the North/Clybourn red line stop and the Halsted (#8) bus (right by the Apple Store and Mega Whole Foods too), and we have a transit FSA that allows you to dedicate pre-tax dollars to public transportation expenses. A number of our employees like to bike to work, so we also have bike storage, showers and lockers in the office. And for those without their own bike in the city, we offer free divvy memberships – complete with Jellyvision bike helmets you can borrow from the office.
- Did we mention our yoga and meditation class? We bring a pro instructor right to the office. Fully subsidized by Jellyvision and fully optional, btw.
- Oh! And we have a massage chair. Not just any massage chair, my friend. It’s the It’s the Renew 2 Zero-Gravity Massage Chair. Feeling a little stiff? Sit down. Relax. Feel better? Good. Okay, back to work.
AND HOW DO I APPLY?
We look forward to hearing about you and what you do. Make sure your application includes:
- A cover letter that highlights three reasons you think you’d be great for the gig, focusing on how your past experience has prepared you for this kind of position. Writing is key to all we do, and we weigh cover letters heavily. We love a cover letter that really shows us your personality (check out our company bios to see the wide range of personalities we’ve already got in house), but don’t stress if you’re not a comedian. You don’t have to be funny. Just be yourself. We’re mostly interested in learning who you are, what you love to do, and why you’d love to do it here with us.
- Your resume
You will receive an auto-reply confirming that we've received your application.
Please know that every single application we receive is read by a real live human being. However that kind of thoughtful review takes time, so it may take us a little while to get back to you (but we will, we promise). In the meantime, NO FOLLOW UP PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS, PLEASE. It’s not that we don’t love hearing from you. It’s just that time spent responding to follow ups could be spent…well…reading your application. Please rest assured that if you received a confirmation from Recruiting Robot, we’ve got your application, and will get back to you really soon. We knew you’d understand.
If you still have pressing questions in the meantime, please feel free to check out our handy-dandy FAQ page!
Thanks for your interest in Jellyvision!