SMS Assist Summary
At SMS Assist, we’re not just in the business of fixing properties—we’re fixing an entire industry. Typically, facilities maintenance is tough work—both in the nature of the job (plumbing, HVAC, snow removal) and the lack of clarity throughout the experience. We decided a better way wasn’t only possible, but essential. Through our award-winning technology platform, built and powered by SMSers, we connect local contractors to our customers and help manage an experience that surpasses expectations.
Recognized on Forbes’ Cloud 100 list, Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, Chicago Crain’s Top Tech Employers, and more, SMS Assist manages more than 186,000 properties where people live and work. Our customers’ livelihoods are in our hands—think a restaurant manager whose only fryer goes down on a busy Friday night or a family in Florida without power after a hurricane. We work across the industries that make up your community, including retail, food service, banking, residential, and more, and we help them find the right provider in our network (we call them Affiliates) in more than 45 trades.
We’re innovators, disruptors, and out-of-the-box thinkers. We set each other up for success in the office and for the perfect spike on the volleyball court during an intramural game. We’re community volunteers, karaoke partners, and lifelong friends. We’re passionate about the people we serve, and we give our all because we care. We want to make every property better, and we want your help to make it happen.
This position is responsible for developing, evolving and sustaining an enterprise learning strategy in partnership with many cross-functional stakeholders with the objective of ensuring an exceptional employee learning experience. The leader in this role will partner closely with HR Business Partners and business leaders to identify learning needs and define key learning initiatives that directly support business objectives and goals. This position will build our talent management strategy.
- Act as owner of employee learning experience, ensuring new hire and all-employee trainings are streamlined, relevant and engaging.
- Create and implement guiding principles to drive desired learning experience, gaining buy-in and support from senior leaders across the organization.
- Provide thought leadership and innovative ideas to enable a 'learning culture,' bringing to life core values and competencies through various initiatives and tactics.
- Demonstrate knowledge of best-in-class learning approaches and tools. Define metrics for successful evaluation of programs and offerings and address opportunities for ongoing improvement based on feedback, usage/participation rates and alignment with business needs.
- Conduct needs assessment in partnership with HR Business Partners/business leaders to identify organizational development needs; recommend tactics and learning modalities to address key opportunity areas and provide consultation to enable implementation of tactics.
- Provide leadership and direction to all learning-focused and talent-focused team members.
- Lead and manage key external vendor relationships as necessary.
- Manage career development work across multiple functions.
- Develop change management and communication strategy to drive awareness and understanding of learning and leadership development initiatives and outcomes.
- Identify and assist managers with employee engagement results and develop action plans for process improvement initiatives.
- Develop short and long-term training and development strategies and corresponding execution plans aligned to overall business needs.
- Own the technology, structure, and communication for the performance management process. This includes goal setting, regular one-on-one meetings, and performance calibration processes, ensuring alignment to corporate strategic goals.
- Create and implement a succession planning process for the organization. This should include replacement planning, as well as leadership readiness assessment tools for all levels of the organization. This should be in collaboration with our growth plans to ensure timing of key roles.
- Provide consultation on individual employee development needs, as appropriate.
These are the professional skills we would expect from an individual fully established in this role.
- Verbal Communication – Expert
- Written Communication – Advanced
- Teamwork – Advanced
- Relationships – Advanced
- Organizational Awareness – Advanced
- Learning Agility – Expert
- Problem Solving – Advanced
- Process Orientation – Advanced
- Prioritization – Expert
Role Specific Skills
- Experienced facilitator, with a broad focus to include in-person training, virtual training and team facilitation.
- Experience interpreting and debriefing leadership/personality/360 assessments (e.g., Strengths Finder, Hogan, Korn Ferry Voices, Myers-Briggs, TKI)
- Computer Skills: Advanced proficiencies in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook required
- System Experience: Workday and SABA preferred
People Management Skills
- Advanced proficiency in all people management processes, including recruitment, performance management and learning and development
- Advanced proficiency in building, growing and developing a team; including department structure design and resourcing
- Advanced proficiency in coaching and developing individual team members to reach their potential
- Proficient in engaging multiple teams through communication, processes, personal impact and influence
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Master’s Degree preferred
- 8+ years of experience in talent management and/or learning & development
- 4+ years of management experience required