Human Resources Manager at Tribune Publishing
Tribune Publishing is seeking a Human Resources Manager to join our team. In this high-visibility role, you will be the trusted HR Business Partner for our Corporate functions including Marketing, Finance, Information Technology and other Shared Services teams. The role is located in downtown Chicago at our beautiful office space at Prudential Plaza and supports employees based in Chicago, Los Angeles, Dallas, and other locations where we have Corporate function employees. You’ll have the opportunity to interact with multiple levels of the organization including senior leaders while reporting to the Senior Director of Human Resources.
The right person for this role has successfully coached business leaders, managers, and team members, and is viewed as a credible and influential partner across their current organization.
- A comprehensive rewards package - we know that salary alone isn’t all you’re looking for, which is why we provide a 401(k) plan with match, and offer great medical, dental, and vision insurance - we even pay for your life insurance. We offer employees access to coordinated discounts and perks through an outside agreement, as well as allow time off during the year to help you achieve work/life balance.
- A supportive work environment - we value our department culture, founded on bright people with passion for their work.
- An innovative and collaborative team that listens and implements great ideas, no matter where in the department they come from – team members of all levels are respected and heard.
Tribune Publishing Company (TPCO) is a media company rooted in award-winning journalism. Headquartered in Chicago, Tribune Publishing Company operates local media businesses in eight markets with titles including the Chicago Tribune, New York Daily News, The Baltimore Sun, Orlando Sentinel, South Florida’s Sun-Sentinel, Virginia’s Daily Press and The Virginian-Pilot, The Morning Call of Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania, and the Hartford Courant.
Tribune Publishing Company also operates Tribune Content Agency (TCA) and the Daily Meal and is majority owner of BestReviews.
Our brands are committed to informing, inspiring and engaging local communities. We create and distribute content across our media portfolio, offering integrated marketing, media, and business services to consumers and advertisers, including digital solutions and advertising opportunities.
What You Will Do…
- Build and foster relationships to effectively partner with the key functional stakeholders
- Work with functional group leadership in area(s) of responsibility to identify high potentials and support design and execution of development plans
- Anticipate HR issues as a result of functional strategies and partner with managers to create proactive solutions
- Initiate and manage implementation of various initiatives in support of our HR strategic plan for talent acquisition, performance management, organization design, employee relations, employee engagement and leadership development
- Manage risk through preventative strategies to reduce exposure to legal/regulatory matters
- Identify, customize and deploy training opportunities required to meet functional goals
- Lead and support functional leaders with annual talent review, calibration and performance review processes
- Coordinate and collaborate with HR Centers of Excellence teams as needed
- Support the functional groups for effective on-boarding and off-boarding of employees
- Supports managers with employee engagement through effective communications with functional teams
- Analyzes employment-related concerns, patterns from exit interview feedback, and business needs to proactively develop and implement action plans to address issues
- Adapt to, and support change management and coach leaders on change strategies
- Be a values and culture champion and support and coach managers on leadership development to create an empowered workforce
- Handle employee investigations, manage conflict resolution and corrective action process
- Advise/coach management on appropriate HR practices and policies and ensures implementation
This Could be a Match if You Have…
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources management, labor law, and/or a related field.
- 8+ years of progressive human resources experience, preferably in HR Generalist capacity, in a fast pace environment.
- Possesses leadership ability, strong communication and management skills and works well with employees at all levels of the organization.
- Extensive knowledge of state and federal employment and labor laws, FMLA, ADA and current employee and labor relations practices is required.
- Demonstrated experience in conflict resolution, mediation facilitation and the dynamics of problem solving and negotiation.
- Approachable, inspires trust and confidence and uses good judgment and discretion with highly confidential business and employee information.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions, be able to escalate the issue/problem with proposed solutions to senior leadership when needed.
- Ability to handle confidential and politically sensitive matters is required.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to use independent judgment in prioritizing tasks to meet or exceed deadlines in an ambiguous, ever-changing environment.
- Systems savvy; MS Office Suite and HRIS Systems (Workday preferred).
- Travel 10% or less