Home Chef is building new ways to provide meal solutions that meet a wide variety of customer needs, and shipping locations both online and in store. Our team is a unique mix of creators, chefs, entrepreneurs, and trailblazers and we’re growing quickly. Our customer-first mentality, combined with a zest for supporting our peers, helped us bring home Built in Chicago’s Startup of the Year Moxie award in 2017. If you’re ready to be part of the action, we’re ready to connect with you. There are no limits to where we can go together.
As the COVID-19 situation continues to escalate in the US and around the world, we are committed to keeping our teams and their families as our greatest priority. To that end, we are making some adjustments to the way we will be doing business in the upcoming weeks.
We are taking all the necessary precautions to keep our employees and customers safe, and would love to have you on our team as we can continue to serve our communities.
To say that Home Chef is an exciting and fast-moving place today is an understatement - our already fast growing business is seeing even more growth due to the current COVID-19 crisis, and just like other organizations, we’re pushing to be innovative and entrepreneurial when it comes to both navigating the current situation as well as standing up operations for the “new normal”. It’s a challenge to take on, but with a team of humble team players and pragmatic next-level thinkers, we know we are up for the challenge. And we’re looking for someone else to join the team and take on that challenge with us!
We’re looking for someone with a passion for people and operations, and an innovative streak. We call this role “Special Projects” because we have a lot of big, challenging projects on the People team that we want this role to take on. Near term, this may focus heavily on projects related to COVID-19, as we would like this person to be a major figure in our COVID-19 response and go-forward strategy for the entire plant organization. Long-term, the projects and opportunities for this role are endless, as we look to grow and develop our People function into a forward-thinking, analytical People organization that will support the future of Home Chef. This role is also a launching point to other roles and functions within the Home Chef organization. Many of our employees who begin in Special Projects move across the organization and eventually into senior leadership roles.
Summary of Responsibilities:
This individual will be responsible for high-impact People initiatives related to, but not limited to, people analytics, COVID-19 response and future state planning and next-gen HR processes. This person will be the subject matter expert on COVID-19 issues and responses at Home Chef’s three production facilities. This will include advising plant and corporate leadership on social distancing measures we can or should be taking, leading the design of processes to support improved sanitation and PPE usage, building relationships with local authorities and putting in innovative new processes to better plan and manage our workforce through uncertainty. But this role is so much more than just COVID-19, and an ideal candidate will also help lead a transformation of our Plant HR organization into a more efficient and analytics-driven team that is positioned to make decisions through a data-driven lens. As such, this role is expected to have strong capabilities in analyzing data, identifying trends, and creating compelling storylines from the data to enable Home Chef’s People leadership team to make effective decisions.
Own the COVID-19 response efforts at the plants, including operations and HR:
- Prepare site-specific plans and contingency plans for each plant
- Quickly understand existing social distancing measures and create enhancements that could further support these initiatives
- Stay up-to-date on latest developments, as well as innovative approaches / technologies other companies are using to keep employees safe and reduce possible exposure risks
- Spend time on the ground at each facilities (as travel permits) to understand operations and perform periodic audits to ensure sites are following all guidelines
- Provide direction to onsite social distancing supervisors at all 3 facilities - both virtually and in-person (when possible)
- Oversee the existing plant-related COVID-19 task forces, provide them with direction and keep the executive team updated on progress
- Proactively build contacts and relationships with CDC, OSHA, local health departments to ensure that Home Chef is kept up to date on developments and that we maintain positive relationships with authorities
- Support the Corporate team in its transition back to the office and co-create how the organization will work together in the future
Build additional infrastructure / capability to be more analytical and data driven as a people organization:
- Lead efforts to make the Home Chef People organization more innovative and push the envelope in terms of how we use data analytics to make decisions
- Leverage our multiple data sources to help us draw insightful conclusions about why hourly employees leave, how efficient our teams are, etc.
- Partner closely with our Director of Plant HR to get our plant HR teams skilled and efficient, utilizing technology and data better
- Partner with our Business Analytics team to understand their datasets and how we could leverage their expertise
Lead high impact People-focused projects at Home Chef:
- Drive change in the Home Chef People team and plant HR operations - projects can include (but are not limited to)
- Design scalable, automated processes that produce repeatable solutions to support our plant and corporate teams
- Automate manual processes while simplifying dramatically where possible
- Revolutionize HR administrative processes at the plants by bringing in cutting edge technology and efficiencies
- Improve our process of workforce planning (related to COVID-19, but also bigger picture)
- Partner with Ops team to accelerate real-time data collection of metrics on the production floor
- Identify critical roles org-wide and contingency plans for what should happen if that person is out for an extended period of time (i.e., create “competency clusters”)
- Partner with Ops to increase cross-training at the facilities to provide more workforce flexibility in the case of prolonged absences
- 3+ years of experience in a rigorous fast-paced work environment – e.g., innovation, consulting, startups
- Extremely detail-oriented and organized with the ability to develop and make progress against multiple concurrent project plans
- Data analytics background or experience strongly preferred
- Previous experience in an operations environment is a plus, including some exposure to COVID-19 related requirements
- Passion for people and talent related topics
- Must have a sense of urgency and be capable of dealing with fast-changing priorities and ambiguity
- Skilled at developing executive-level outputs in Powerpoint and communicating findings to leadership
- Strong Excel/Google Sheets analytics capabilities
- Must be willing to travel up to 50%
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance – benefits start the 1st day of the month following your start date
- Company paid Life Insurance, Short Term Disability and Long Term Disability
- 401k Employer match - 50% on the $1, up to 6% of the employee's earnings
- We offer flexible spending accounts (FSA) for qualified Medical, Dependent Care, Parking, or Transit expenses
- Flexible paid time off (PTO) policy, plus sick days
- Generous Parental Leave
- Great Work/Life Balance – We value and support each individual team member
- Quarterly company-wide “Town Hall” meetings
- Ongoing professional development opportunities by level and function
- Your choice of Windows or Mac laptop, plus an extra screen
- Onsite gym
- Weekly Fooda credit
- Newly renovated office in the historic Old Main Post Office which is located close to multiple Metra and CTA options
- Employee discounts through Perkspot
- Discounts on Home Chef meal kits and at Kroger stores
- Casual dress in a fun, friendly and collaborative work environment
Candidates can experience Home Chef as a customer - enter promo code PEOPLE30 for $30 off your first order!
Home Chef is an equal employment opportunity employer