Payroll & Benefits Specialist
About Green Thumb Industries:
Green Thumb Industries (GTI), a national cannabis consumer packaged goods company and retailer, is dedicated to providing dignified access to cannabis while giving back to the communities in which they serve. GTI manufactures and distributes a portfolio of branded cannabis products including Rythm, Dogwalkers, The Feel Collection, and Beboe, among others. The company also owns and operates a rapidly growing national chain of retail cannabis stores called Rise™. Headquartered in Chicago, Illinois, GTI has 11 manufacturing facilities, licenses for 77 retail locations and operations across 12 U.S. markets. Established in 2014, GTI employs approximately 650 people and serves thousands of patients and customers each year. GTI was named a Best Workplace 2018 by Crain’s Chicago Business. More information is available at GTIgrows.com.
This role will be responsible for managing and processing payroll and benefits for our multi-state population of 600+ employees today with continued plans to grow like weeds…pun intended!
Our ideal candidate is a subject matter expert in both Payroll and Benefits with an incredible keen eye for detail and accuracy. You have the experience and the tenacity to quickly learn GTI’s organization and challenges of the cannabis industry, as well as, foresee any obstacles. You are ready to take on a challenge that entails learning new systems, establishing a SOP, platform integrations, all the while, executing day-to-day tasks with a high level of accuracy.
Responsibilities - Payroll Administration
- Coordinate workflow to ensure payroll is processed in a timely and accurate manner
- Administer six (soon to be eight) bi-weekly payroll runs for over 500 employees which include hourly, non-exempt, salaried, exempt
- Process all employee changes as it relates to compensation changes/adjustments, changes in employment status, deductions
- Audit time and attendance
- Process garnishments, child support orders, quarterly tax verifications, worker compensation reports, and employment verification requests
- Perform year-end responsibilities as it relates to W-2 verification
- Support payroll auditing and reporting
- Resolve all payroll discrepancies, process adjustments, manual checks and answer employee and management inquiries, as needed
- Support the Accounting team with reconciliations as it relates to PTO and benefit deductions and programs such as medical, dental, Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Accounts, etc.
Responsibilities - Benefits Administration
- Support benefits enrollment and administration processes
- Assist with eligibility data, enrollment, deductions and process contributions for company health benefits, 401k, Flex and any other related plans including COBRA payments
- Audit benefit records to ensure accuracy and consistency of data across various benefit systems both internally and externally with vendors
- Assist with monthly review of Benefit Plan billing statements to ensure all additions, changes, and terminations are updated with our Benefit vendors on a regular basis
- Assist employees with benefit related questions or issues
- Plan and administer Annual Open Enrollment including communication, enrollment tracking, forms, changes, and updating vendor websites with new information
- Distribute compliance information/mailings to employees as needed
- Evaluate and make strategic recommendations for ongoing enhancements or changes to our comprehensive benefit offerings
- Bachelor’s Degree and 3-5 years of payroll/human resource experience
- Must have experience processing non-exempt, hourly employees
- Proven experience and success in a fast-paced, high-growth organization
- Advanced computer skills to include data entry in Excel
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail. In fact, please include "I am the Cannabest Payroll & Benefits Specialist" in your cover letter.
- Excellent and professional verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to interact and communicate with all levels within the organization
- Demonstrated understanding of multi-state wage and labor laws
- Experience using the following products, a plus: Kronos, Wurk, Gusto
- Demonstrated ability to handle confidential material
- Must pass any and all required background checks
- Must be and remain compliant with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry
At GTI we believe that our corporate community should be a reflection of the communities we serve. We are dedicated to fostering an inclusive culture that celebrates diversity across race, sex, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, nationality, religion, experience, and thought—not only because it is right, but because it makes us better. Our mission—the right to wellness—informs our commitment to champion economic opportunities in communities disproportionately affected by the war on drugs through employment and community involvement. GTI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
We can't wait to meet you.
Read Full Job Description