JELLYVISION NEEDS A SALES RECRUITER
We here at Jellyvision are the proud parents of ALEX, an interactive employee communications platform that happens to share some DNA (and a sense of humor) with the smash-hit trivia video game YOU DON’T KNOW JACK, created by Jellyvision's founder. ALEX makes navigating tricky decisions—like choosing and using employee benefits or improving your financial wellness—easier, faster, and more helpful, not to mention entertaining. The success of the ALEX platform has exceeded our wildest dreams, (except for the part right before we woke up where our mom was riding a giraffe), which is why we need talented folks like you to help us help ALEX take over the world…er…continue to grow and succeed.
THAT’S LOVELY… BUT WHAT’S THE JOB?
We’re looking to add a top-notch recruiter to our talent team - someone with experience sourcing, engaging and closing the deal with amazing sales candidates. Our ideal candidate will be whip-smart, well-networked, an amazing judge of character, super organized, diplomatic, and great with people. Jellyvision is fortunate to be a recognized brand in Chicago, and, as a result, much of our hiring doesn’t require sourcing; sales is a notable exception. To create the pipeline of sales candidates we need, we’ve partnered with outside recruiting firms and developed some great relationships – but we want to build our in house sourcing capabilities in sales. More specifically, the gig entails…
- Maintaining and elevating the Jellyvision recruiting brand. Recruiting at Jellyvision is a high-touch, in depth process – we know we ask a lot of talented, sought after candidates so we want to treat them with the utmost respect and make the process as fun as it can be. As we add sourcing capabilities to our team, we want to do so with the same level of caring and respect for candidates, and the same spirit of fun, warm, human interaction that we strive for in our recruiting practices every day.
- Partnering with hiring managers to understand our hiring needs. The better you understand the need, the better you can identify candidates who will be a good fit, so you’ll need to be good at asking the right questions of hiring managers to figure out the skills and characteristics we’re looking for in candidates, and why we’re struggling in recruiting those folks.
WHAT KIND OF PERSON ARE WE LOOKING FOR? To be a great fit for this role, we’re looking for someone who is:
- A true people person. And we don’t just mean someone who can talk to anyone - being a great listener is actually more important in this role. You need to love learning by Q&A – asking the right questions and then listening carefully to the responses in order to understand what a hiring manager needs, how to work best with a potential recruiting partner, or what a candidate is all about.
- Creative and flexible in your approach to recruiting. Jellyvision’s approach to recruiting is different than many companies - and it’s served us well. We don’t adhere strictly to standard recruiting metrics like time to fill – because sometimes the best thing a recruiter can do is counsel a hiring manager not to make the wrong hire – so we need someone with a flexible approach that focuses on not just hiring, but on always making the right hire.
- An amazing communicator. In person, on the phone, and in writing. You will be responsible for communicating both internally and externally with a ton of folks in different roles, so your communication skills really need to be excellent, and on brand for Jellyvision recruiting speak, please. (What does “works cross-functionally with internal teams to execute against objectives as assigned” actually tell anyone about a job?) Jellyvision has a specific, honest, jargon-free voice that you’ll be responsible for getting out in the marketplace for talent – and you’ll need great communication skills to do it right.
- An outside the box thinker. You know what they say about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. You should be the kind of person who can switch tactics if something isn’t working, and who isn’t afraid to try new things to drum up great candidates.
- A master of project and time management. There are a lot of moving parts in recruiting, so we need a “git-r-done” person who won’t be overwhelmed by the volume of candidates and activity that needs to be managed on a daily basis. There will be lots of people and projects vying for your attention, so if you aren’t an efficiency-minded person with a well-developed system for managing your time and candidate contacts you may not enjoy the position.
- With charm galore. We’re not talking sickly sweet or smarmy charm…we’re talking sincere, honest-to-goodness, we appreciate that you’re spending time with us charm. Recruiting is an extension of our brand. We think charm is part of that. And diplomacy. And wit, to be used liberally, when appropriate.
- Last but not least, a sense of humor is a must. It just makes you more fun to work with.
WHAT KIND OF EXPERIENCE SHOULD YOU HAVE?
Ordinarily on the talent team, we look for DNA more than a specific background; but in this case, we’re looking for someone to bring expertise to the team that we don’t already have in house. As a result, we really need someone with experience sourcing candidates for sales and/or account management roles. Specifically we’re looking for someone with:
- Experience sourcing candidates in the sales space. We find SaaS sales folks to be some of the most difficult to recruit in Chicago. If they’re any good, they’re probably fully employed and working hard. Getting those folks to take the time to engage with a recruiter and then spend the time on an in depth hiring process can be a neat trick. So we need someone who’s a master at it.
- Experience with and ideas for diversity recruiting. As we move to a more active model of sourcing candidates, it opens up a myriad of opportunities to source more diverse talent. We’re looking for someone familiar with strategies and tactics to find the best talent by increasing diversity in the talent pipeline.
- Insight into how small companies recruit. We’re still a fairly small company, so we try to be flexible and scrappy in the way we do things. We don’t have a ton of structure, which could be either freeing or frustrating to folks who are used to a big company or agency atmosphere. The ideal candidate is someone who has either internally recruited for a small company before, partnered with small companies from the agency side, or has been involved in recruiting in a big company and genuinely wants the opportunity to be a part of a more personalized, less bureaucratic, process. And also someone who knows that small companies strive to be effective without simply throwing money at problems. You’ve heard of guerilla marketing? We’re looking for guerilla recruiting.
ANYTHING ELSE? Yes. We share a commitment to excellence and a desire to work in a comfortable, friendly atmosphere, so we only hire nice, bright, funny people who are willing to work hard. Our credo is a simple one: be helpful. And we think we can be most helpful if our workforce is as diverse in thought, perspective, and culture as the people who use our products. We are looking to add amazing folks to our team who will bring diversity across many lines, including race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, sex, and country of origin.
ARE THERE ANY PERKS? Yes, we love perks.
- Competitive pay, 401(k) with matching and benefits. We pay 100% of the cost of premiums for medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance for our employees (as long as you qualify for our tobacco-free discount; if you’re a tobacco user, your medical premiums will be higher than $0). We also cover a really nice chunk of the cost of premiums for spouse/dependent medical, dental and vision insurance.
- Casual dress and a flexible schedule. Come in a sweatshirt, jeans, whatever, like everyone else here.
- Creative work environment. We are lucky to work in a place that is full of intelligent, talented and innovative folks. Although most hours the place is deathly quiet (we're a focused bunch), this is punctuated with hilarious outbursts and general merriment, which makes a nice way to spend the day.
- Free food. Every week, we stock our kitchen with free healthy snack foods, and we have a catered lunch every other week to give people a reason to hang out and eat together.
- Easy transportation and lots of love for folks who bike to work. We’re really close to the North/Clybourn red line stop and the Halsted (#8) bus (right by the Apple Store and Mega Whole Foods too), and we have a transit FSA that allows you to dedicate pre-tax dollars to public transportation expenses. A number of our employees like to bike to work, so we also have bike storage, showers and lockers in the office. And for those without their own bike in the city, we offer free divvy memberships – complete with Jellyvision bike helmets you can borrow from the office.
- Did we mention our yoga class? We bring a pro instructor right to the office. Fully subsidized by Jellyvision and fully optional, btw.
- Oh! And we have a massage chair. Not just any massage chair, my friend. It’s the HumanTouch HT 5320 WholeBody™ Massage Chair. Feeling a little stiff? Sit down. Relax. Feel better? Good. Okay, back to work.
AND HOW DO I APPLY?
We look forward to hearing about you and what you do. Make sure your application includes:
- A cover letter that highlights three reasons you think you’d be great for the gig, focusing on how your past experience has prepared you for this kind of position. Writing is key to all we do, and we weigh cover letters heavily. We love a cover letter that really shows us your personality (check out our company biosto see the wide range of personalities we’ve already got in house), but don’t stress if you’re not a comedian. You don’t have to be funny. Just be yourself. We’re mostly interested in learning who you are, what you love to do, and why you’d love to do it here with us.
- Your resume
You will receive an auto-reply confirming that we've received your application.
Please know that every single application we receive is read by a real live human being. However that kind of thoughtful review takes time, so it may take us a little while to get back to you (but we will, we promise). In the meantime, NO FOLLOW UP PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS, PLEASE. It’s not that we don’t love hearing from you. It’s just that time spent responding to follow ups could be spent…well…reading your application. Please rest assured that if you received a confirmation from Recruiting Robot, we’ve got you’re application, and will get back to you really soon. We knew you’d understand.
If you still have pressing questions in the meantime, please feel free to check out our handy-dandy FAQ page!
Thanks for your interest in Jellyvision!