Senior Director of Human Resources at Elevate K-12
Elevate K-12 is changing the way classrooms work through live, online, real-time instruction to K-12 schools. Our two main focuses are to give students the best quality instructors and get them ready for the world of the future and to give instructors, especially women, work opportunities, irrespective of zip codes. We are the new way to the classroom!
The Senior Director, Human Resources provides leadership and oversight of the HR function for Elevate K-12. This role is responsible for developing and executing human resource strategy aligned with the strategic mission, vision, and values of the company, specifically in the areas of change management, talent management, succession planning, performance management, training and development, employee engagement, employee relations, and assisting with benefits and compensation. The Sr. Director, HR fosters and perpetuates Elevate K-12’s culture through programming, policies and processes.
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Chicago, IL – U.S. based
- The Sr. Director is directly accountable for leading the HR team in driving people practices that contribute to the overall success and growth of the organization.
In collaboration with the VP of Talent Acquisition:
- Reports to the COO and provides a data driven, metrics-based approach to demonstrate success and gaps for the organization in performance, culture, and employee engagement
- Drives a culture of collaboration, transparency and high-performance in a high-growth start-up environment
- Acts as a strategic business partner to the executive team and other senior leaders to lead key organizational and management initiatives
- Functions as a coach and mentor to business leaders on personnel issues that affect performance and business relationships
- Provides overall leadership and guidance to the HR function by overseeing career development, succession planning, retention, leadership development
- Provides inputs and perspectives on compensation, benefits and payroll processes in concert with the VP, Accounting and Finance
- Leads the HR function to continuously build trust, promote inclusion, and establish credibility throughout the organization through effective listening and problem-solving employee issues
- Builds and directs HRIS database management and reporting to identify and analyze critical HR data and inform improvement decisions across the HR function
- Remain current on changes to HR and employment law and positively partner with state and local regulatory agencies
- Maintain compliance with all federal, state, and local laws as it pertains to employee benefits, compensation, diversity & EEO, employment, and learning & development
- Implement and enforce consistent employment practices to highlight and mitigate risk.
- Prepare HR budgets and manage the expenses of the HR function
- Ensures planning, monitoring, and appraisal of employee work results by training managers to coach and discipline employees; scheduling management conferences with employees; hearing and resolving employee grievances; and counseling employees and supervisors
- Ensures legal compliance by monitoring and implementing applicable human resource federal and state requirements, conducting investigations, maintaining records, and representing the organization at hearings
- Retains historical human resource records by designing a filing and retrieval system and keeping past and current records
- Manages a pay plan by conducting periodic pay surveys; scheduling and conducting job evaluations; preparing pay budgets; monitoring and scheduling individual pay actions; and recommending, planning, and implementing pay structure revisions
- Advances human resource staff job results by counseling and structuring employees; and planning, monitoring, and appraising job results
- Promotes a culture of Diversity and Inclusion
The job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or
responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or
new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
What you will need:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Business Management, Business Administration, or related degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in a variety of human resources disciplines including talent acquisition, employee relations, compensation and benefits, and organizational development and design required.
- Minimum of 10 years of leadership experience in progressively responsible positions including prior experience in a director level human resources position required.
- Experience in both large organizations and high-growth start-up, highly preferred
- Strong business acumen and experience in strategic planning required.
- Excellent leadership, communication and problem-solving skills.
- Proven strategic and agile thinker with an operations focus and commitment to continuous improvement.
- Experience in creating a culture of diversity, inclusivity, collaboration and teamwork.
- Proven ability to effectively influence others, set priorities and demonstrate strong organizational skills.
- Knowledge and experience in mergers and acquisition (M&A) integration and due diligence.
- Strong systems experience with one or more HR related systems such as HRIS, ATS, LMS, Payroll, Timekeeping, or ERP required
- Minimum of intermediate level proficiency with Google Suite and MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) required.
- MBA in Human Resources or Master’s Degree in a related technical field preferred.
- 15 years of human resources experience in a variety of HR disciplines preferred.
- 5 or more years in a start-up or rapidly scaling company is preferred.
- 3 or more years of experience in a director level human resources position preferred.
- Ability to develop ROI models for HR initiatives preferred.
- Prior experience with HR analytics across all disciplines of HR and the demonstrated ability to make sound business decisions based on root cause analysis of data highly preferred.