Growth with a Purpose
OppLoans is a rapidly growing Fintech company that helps credit-challenged consumers build a better financial path through accessible products and five-star customer service. As one of Chicago’s fastest-growing startups, we’ve made the Crain’s Business Chicago Fast 50 (#4 in 2019) and the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 (twice), and we’ve ranked in the top 10% of the Inc. 500 four years in a row!
OppLoans is a team of caring and inventive “Opptimists” with diverse perspectives and backgrounds. OppLoans employees approach every new challenge with an unparalleled ability to see what could be rather than settle for what is. We want people to be excited to come to work every morning and know they are a part of something great. That’s why we prize collaboration, collegiality, and letting the best ideas win the day.
Reporting to the Chief People Officer, the Vice President of Talent & Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI), will lead all programs and initiatives, in partnership with senior leaders, to strengthen our culture where all employees feel valued and empowered to do their best work. In this role, you will build and scale our core talent, learning, and culture programs to promote equity and inclusivity, strengthen our leadership capability, and attract and retain the best talent.
What you get to do:
- Be a strong voice for DEI by developing, driving, and communicating a holistic strategy. As a trusted advisor to our Executive Team, Employee Led Communities (ELCs), and communications team, you will provide thought leadership, strategic planning, coaching, and education to infuse DEI principles and practices into our programs and drive key outcomes.
- Collaborate with our HR Business Partners, Recruiting, and Compensation & Benefits team to ensure that our recruiting pipeline and partnerships, internal mobility, promotion, and pay and talent practices promote diversity and equity.
- Grow our Employee Led Communities (ELCs) by providing leadership and support that celebrates diverse perspectives and experiences and strengthens our internal communities.
- Lead our career coaching and mentoring programs, in partnership with our ELCs, to advance the career growth of our team members and realize our mission of #defining your career at OppLoans.
- Drive our core talent management processes to support business leaders in assessing and developing their talent and maximizing the effectiveness of our performance reviews, 9-block talent reviews and calibrations, and individual & team assessments.
- Build out our learning function by using pulse survey data and employee voices to design and deliver programs that foster behavior change and growth for leadership and high potential talent across the company.
- Unlock the full potential of our leaders and employees by challenging and coaching them in ways that encourage a growth mindset, improve employee engagement, and advance business performance.
- Generate metrics to evaluate effectiveness, ROI and inclusivity of programs and collaborate with our business leaders to measure impact and identify insights that will drive continuous improvement.
What you will bring to the team:
You take a systemic approach to solving systemic problems. You have 8+ years of experience working with executives to plan and implement a strategy that resulted in a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce. You have significant experience designing talent programs and initiatives that result in measurable progress. You are entrepreneurial, creative and collaborative in bringing together energy and resources inside and outside your function. You’ve diplomatically challenged mindsets and inspired new points of view and removed systemic and cultural roadblocks to leave a lasting, positive impact on an organization. You’re a data and communications guru with a penchant for using all available channels to make even the most complex of concepts easier to understand. You have a growth mindset -- you approach everything as a learning opportunity and you’re excited to create something new. And you’re great at bringing others along with you on this journey.
Define your career at OppLoans
OppLoans is committed to providing an exceptional employee experience that allows you to define your career and purpose with us. New hire “Opptimists” go through orientation, shadow programs, a new hire lunch with our CEO, Jared Kaplan, and you can participate in different company culture events focused on diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our onboarding team has designed programs to make you feel welcome and part of our team during your first year and beyond.
- Define the Mission (days 1-30): You will understand our company mission, values, and vision, and how your role at OppLoans plays a part in that.
- Define your Goals (months 1-3): You will be able to understand your role expectations and identify goals with your manager and mentor(s) to fulfill those expectations.
- Define your Belonging (months 3-6): You will understand OppLoans’ culture and have opportunities to engage with and impact that culture. Employee-led communities and programs, like our wellness program Project Opptimism, are offered to help with community connection both virtually and in-person.
- Define your Journey (6 months - 1 year): You will feel confident in your abilities to execute in your role and know the next step you will take to develop your career.
Compensation and Benefits
OppLoans offers a 401(k) matching program and paid vacation. Other benefits include medical benefits, including a free PPO medical option with BCBS for Employee-Only Plans, dental and vision coverage, and tuition reimbursement. To support your wellness, you receive a free gym membership at One Two Pru and a corporate discount on ClassPass packages. To get you to and from work, you can participate in our pre-tax commuter benefits program with CTA and Metra, park your bike in the One Two Pru bike storage room, and take advantage of discounted Divvy memberships. Dresscode is casual. Lunch is subsidized through Fooda and Sweetgreen, and healthy snacks and drinks are available all day at the office.
Our office is conveniently located in downtown Chicago with panoramic views of Millennium Park and Lake Michigan with rooftop access.
EEOC Statement: OppLoans is an equal opportunity employer. OppLoans does not discriminate against any applicant for employment due to age, color, sex, disability, national origin, race, religion, veteran status, or any other protected class.