VP of People
Hello, We’re Built In
Built In unites companies and people around their shared passion for tech and the universal need for purpose. To help our partners attract qualified talent, we create content that tells their story in a way no job post ever could — and we put their jobs in front of people who were born to do them. Our audience of sought-after candidates use Built In to find their professional purpose and connect meaningfully to the tech community, including by reading our content, networking at our events and applying to jobs at companies they believe in.
Headquartered in Chicago, we also serve Los Angeles, Colorado, Austin, New York, Boston and Seattle.
When you work for Built In, you have the opportunity to change lives by giving talented people access to purpose, not just a paycheck. And you’ll make an impact on some of the most exciting companies in tech, helping them hire their next wave of elite talent. Be part of Built In, and be part of the future of tech.
We’re looking for a VP of People
We are seeking a VP of People who will be a part of the executive team and critical in helping lead Built In through its next phase of growth. You will be the chief voice of our employees in senior management discussions and be a true business partner to the CEO and leadership team to ensure our people are both inspired and supported. You will build strategies and process to attract, retain and develop the very best talent while ensuring an exceptional experience at all phases of the talent lifecycle. You will drive growth and facilitate change for the company through a focus on Built In’s people.
The ideal candidate for the position will have prior experience leading a People team in a high growth, entrepreneurial company. Prior experience in operations is a plus.
How you’ll contribute
- Build a world-class People team
- Act as a consultative partner to the CEO and Built In’s leadership team by providing solution-oriented human resources advice and counsel
- Build partnerships across the organization in an effort to help achieve the business objectives through the effective management of Built In’s People
- Collaborate with the HR team to manage company-wide people programs including benefits administration, succession planning, talent planning, and learning and development
- Elevate Built In’s employment brand and distinct culture
- Formulate and execute creative and innovative processes for identifying, attracting and retaining diverse talent at all levels of the organization
- Conduct employee relations investigations; proactively manage legal risk; ensure manager and employee compliance with company guidelines and governmental regulations
- Proactively review on an ongoing basis all People & Culture policies and processes; with a view to improve efficiency and effectiveness within legal framework
What you need
- 10+ years total experience, a combination of startup and large company environments is preferred
- Proven success managing and scaling a team of talent acquisition and HR professionals
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high growth environment and an ability to design the People function in an iterative manner
- A good blend of business acumen, high emotional intelligence and strong interpersonal skills
- Embodies Built In’s Core Values
- Experience creating a business strategy through human capital, reorganization, and operations to drive the necessary growth within a company
- Successful track record building staffing plans, operating remote workforces and analyzing expansion options
- Strong analytical skills, including reporting, synthesizing data to identify themes and create solutions to address those issues
- Successful track record of building and maintaining strong relationships and being a trusted advisor at all levels of the organization
- Self-starter with strong organizational and time-management skills in order to prioritize competing, multiple tasks simultaneously. Works well under pressure. High sense of urgency.
What We Value
We’re revolutionizing tech recruitment. So we question everything, because the best answers sit just to the right of a question mark. That’s our heritage as a disruptive company — as a company whose future depends on our capacity to innovate with a sense of drive, purpose and urgency. If you join Built In, you will work from this set of values:
- Be Unreasonably Passionate. Our passion is borderline obsessive, and we’re ok with that. No one ever built anything great on a “meh.” We work with outsized passion to fulfill our mission.
- Be Humble. You don’t have all the answers. Luckily, you don’t have to. Don’t worry about being right. Be humble instead.
- Stay Curious. Curiosity is a springboard to the future. It can transform the wisp of an idea into a breakthrough. We ask “what if.” We work with wonder. It’s how we innovate.
- Lead with Solutions. Question everything. But offer solutions as you do. Raise issues. But propose a few answers. For every hole you poke, offer a way to patch it up.
- Own the Result. We have no time for blame or shame. When you stumble, own it, learn from it + get back to business.
- Do More. Do more than your job description. Take initiative. Take charge. No job is beneath you, and no job is too big. Be a leader and do more — do whatever it takes.
Built In is an equal employment opportunity employer and values diversity. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.