Data Scientist Intern - Summer 2020 at Paylocity
Delivering one-of-a-kind cloud technology, accompanied by award winning customer service, Paylocity is a software company in a category of its own. Poised to revolutionize the world of human capital management for thousands of small and medium sized businesses, we are seeking the best and the brightest to help us create the future – enabling our customers to be employers of choice for their employees.
Our Product & Technology organization nurtures a dynamic agile work environment of talented individuals with a variety of thoughts, ideas and backgrounds working in small teams around a shared mission. Guided by our development principles, and a passion for compelling software, we come together to deliver great products and make Paylocity an exciting place to work.
As a Data Scientist Intern in Product & Technology, you will help Paylocity discover the information hidden in vast amounts of data, to help our customers make smarter human capital decisions that drive organizational success. Your primary focus will be to apply knowledge of statistics, machine learning, programming, data modeling, simulation, and advanced mathematics to recognize patterns, identify opportunities, pose business questions, and make valuable discoveries leading to prototype development and product improvement.
Are you the teammate we are looking for?
Who you are:
- Enthusiastic about advanced analytics and how predictive insights lead to a superior customer experience
- Invested in staying current in data science by applying new technologies and practices
- Able to work in a collaborative environment with a desire to share your ideas
- Able to work independently on modules and complete tasks with high quality, but unafraid to seek out suggestions from other team members
- Excited to work on cutting-edge technology!
What you can expect:
- Curiosity and candor; the quality of the idea wins the day
- Casual, focused, and agile environment operating under our shared principles
- Customers at the center of everything we do
- Small, mission-focused teams with an entrepreneurial spirit backed by enterprise investments
- Consistent routines across stakeholders to ensure complete transparency
- Close working relationship between executive stakeholders and customers
What you will do:
- Select features, build and optimize classifiers using machine learning techniques such as random forests, xgboost, TensorFlow, linear regression, time series methods
- Collaborate with Product Owners, Sales Leaders, Enterprise Architects and other executives to translate complex human capital management challenges into data science projects
- Leverage cutting edge big data technologies on AWS and Microsoft Azure
- Conduct ad-hoc analysis and present results in a clear manner
- Work closely with full stack .net engineers in an agile product development environment
- Demonstrated ability to leverage data science to drive business results. Some ways previous successful candidates have demonstrated this are:
- Recognized success for data science skills via academic awards, scholarships or corporate recognition programs (Employee of the Year, etc.)
- Experience in writing production grade machine learning models in Python. Some ways previous successful candidates have demonstrated this are:
- A portfolio of publically available data science projects that resulted in a fully functioning piece of software
- Strong academic publication or speaking record in organizations such as ICML, NeurIPS, JML, KDD, and INFORMS
- History of strong performance in Kaggle competitions
- Experience with cloud infrastructure on AWS or Azure
- On track to graduate in Fall 2020 or Spring 2021 with an advanced degree (Masters or Phd) in computer science, industrial engineering, statistics, industrial organizational psychology, neurology, public policy, linguistics or other quantitative field preferred. Bachelor’s degree required.