Emotional intelligence edTech startup internship (multiple positions)
In just 12 years, by 2030, 50% of school-aged children will be failing or not enrolled in schools. Education is the biggest human rights / civil rights issue of this generation. We are optimizing learning for the individual by focusing on a child’s emotional intelligence through technology that increases all levels of learning.
- STRUT is a NEW (2018) high growth, technology based, social venture optimizing individualized learning through emotional intelligence. STRUT’s tools support learning theory to shorten learning time, increase knowledge retention (and thus increase test scores and grades), increase engagement, and increase satisfaction in measurable fashion.
- Part time/ full time internships will focus on academic, technology, and research as well as marketing content and social media development. While the projects are rooted in research, it will involve strategy, innovation, operations and working in teams.
- For immediate start; Dates are negotiable throughout the year.
How to Apply
- Send INFORMAL email to: [email protected]; approximately 2-3 sentences in length per question.
- Your interest in emotional intelligence, education, and/or education technology
- Your desire and ability to work in a startup environment
- Your ability to work in an autonomous virtual teams with high levels of ambiguity and your proactive communication skills
- Your general availability/duration
- Your ideal position level (member, intern, summer intern, volunteer), working group... skills you would like to grow...
- You may provide your resume, portfolio, and/ or linkedin profile to facilitate process
High-Impact Work Experience
- Want to help change the landscape of education and education technology? Our goal is to not only develop technology for learners but to develop strategies and technologies for the entire sector.
- Want to get on the bottom floor of a new social cause startup? Create societal good with measurable impact while exponentially growing market valuation. Join a startup team with a founder whose previous 2 startups received series B ($15M) and series A ($2M) level of funding commitment in less than 1 year each. The goal is to prove the model and raise $2.5M in less than 1 year.
- Join a founding team of 12 equity members that is rapidly growing. In his 2 previous startups, all staff members were cultivated and recruited from volunteer/ intern positions.
- STRUT wants leaders who follow, not followers or leaders who do not follow. We cultivate a culture of autonomy, growth mindedness, individual and group empowerment, and fun.
- Members must be able to use (or learn to use quickly) relevant technology: project management, knowledge management, and communication tools. They must be able to identify obstacles and seek and recommend solutions. Must be disciplined, goal-focused individuals who can assess situations and make on-the-spot decisions that affect multiple aspects of the organization.
- You must want to work in an organization that is fueled by passion, led by strong, experienced, leaders, but with the flair of a startup. Suits and ties need not apply. Only those who are willing to do anything it takes to succeed are welcomed. It is not about titles or badges.
- STRUT welcomes interns who want to stay with the organization after the internship, as opportunities available. As we grow, STRUT hopes to offer plenty of potential opportunities. STRUT strives for a model of 2/3 promotion from within, and 1/3 from outside. All previous startup staff were volunteers, interns, or contractors first.
- Must have at least 2 years of professional work experience or equivalent (e.g. research, internships)
- Takes ownership of projects and delivers in advance of deadlines
- Has a track record of success in academic and professional settings
- Displays exceptional interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills (proactive communication)
- Has a passion for social change, learning, education, technology and/ or startups
- Is skilled (or wishes to be) in Foosball, Pacman Smash air hockey, and/or Pop-a-Shot (for when we get an office)
About the Organization
STRUT is a NEW high growth, technology based, social venture optimizing individualized learning through emotional intelligence. STRUT’s tools support learning theory to shorten learning time, increase knowledge retention (and thus increase test scores and grades), increase engagement, and increase satisfaction in measurable fashion. Currently most edTech optimizes or adapts content. Instead, we will optimize the overall experience for the learner, not just the content, in a simple clear manner. We plan to make technologies that optimize individual learning for schools and the education technology marketplace (B2B). Ever present is the end in mind: changing learning and exiting. We are working with psychologists, education academics, startup, technology, social emotional learning, and educators. Our advisers include professors, researchers, edTech judges, and startup funders.
- Strong membership team (academic thought leadership, edtech development, curricula development, marketing, operations, and sales)
- Pioneering the SEL + tech academic space (1 conference paper accepted, 3 submitted, 1 invited review being developed)
- edTech modeling near complete, wireframe in process and then off to development team (HCI, technology learning theories, IDT, and UX/UI)
- curricula modeling alpha set of lessons (academic, standards, and integrated fashion)
- External marketing ready to launch in visible manner
- Initial FF round ending and developing angel and series-A proposals
- Moved into education co-working space (March 2019)
- Board and Advisory board activated
We are seeking 1 members, 0 summer interns, 1 project intern, and 1 volunteer. [PLEASE NOTE, we are NO longer accepting summer internship applications. We have received an amazing and overwhelming amount of applicants and are in the final process of selection, if our needs change we will update. We are all truly inspired by your interest, alignment, and professional caliber. (02/05/19)]
Some possible roles:
Admin Manager: Do you drive your roommates crazy organizing everything? Drive us crazy instead! Start-ups by nature tend to be disorderly, because moving forward means scrambling in ten directions at once. We need someone to keep things just this side of complete chaos. Make others do your bidding!
Grantwriter: Want to help change the world through words? While talk can be cheap, the right words can create lasting impact. Use your creative yet logical wordsmithing super-skills to pitch our technologies and projects in grants and contracts. Let's raise some funds and get off the Ramen! (though it tastes so good!). Did I mention commission?
Technology Dev Manager: Want to build without getting your hands dirty? (and without gloves). Work with a tech dev shop and help lead the strategy, architecture, and management of our main product. You hold the keys to our secret sauces: ketchup, teriyaki, Korean bbq… Lets build the MVP, prove its impact in schools, and solve the problems of education.
Special Projects: Want the most amount of flexibility even within a startup? Like to work independently? Work on 1-off projects that may take you to any of the organizational departments. Oftentimes its helping build small systems but with large impacts. As a startup our focus is often on the larger goals but without ensuring continuity, consistency, and support throughout, scalability and quality can quickly fade.
Other possibilities include team development (leadership), crowdfunding, social media, and videographer; as well as a successful technology based entrepreneur (who has exited) to join our 10 member advisory board.