Emotional intelligence edTech startup internship (multiple positions)
In just 12 years, by 2030, 50% of school-aged children will be failing or not enrolled in schools. Education is the biggest human rights / civil rights issue of this generation. We are optimizing learning for the individual by focusing on a child’s emotional intelligence through technology that increases all levels of learning.
- STRUT is a NEW high growth, technology based, social venture optimizing individualized learning through emotional intelligence. STRUT’s tools support learning theory to shorten learning time, increase knowledge retention (and thus increase test scores and grades), increase engagement, and increase satisfaction in measurable fashion.
- Graduate and undergraduate part time/ full time internships will focus on academic, technology, and market research as well as marketing content and social media development. While the projects are rooted in research, it will involve strategy, innovation, operations and working in teams.
- For immediate start; Dates are negotiable throughout school year.
How to Apply
- Send INFORMAL email to: [email protected]; approximately 2-3 sentences in length per question.
- Your interest in emotional intelligence, education, and/or education technology
- Your desire and ability to work in a startup environment
- Your ability to work in an autonomous virtual teams with high levels of ambiguity
- Your general availability/duration
High-Impact Work Experience
- Want to help change the landscape of education and education technology? Our goal is to not only develop technology for learners but to develop strategies and technologies for the entire sector.
- Want to get on the bottom floor of a new social cause startup? Create societal good with measurable impact while exponentially growing market valuation. Join a startup team with a founder whose previous 2 startups received series B ($18M) and series A ($2M) level of funding commitment in less than 1 year. The goal is to prove the model and raise $2.5M in less than 1 year.
- Join a founding team of 6 members that is rapidly growing. In his 2 previous startups, all staff members were cultivated and recruited from volunteer/ intern positions.
- STRUT wants leaders who follow, not followers or leaders who do not follow. We cultivate a culture of autonomy, growth mindedness, individual and group empowerment, and fun.
- Members must be able to use (or learn to use quickly) relevant technology: project management, knowledge management, and communication tools. They must be able to identify obstacles and seek and recommend solutions. Must be disciplined, goal-focused individuals who can assess situations and make on-the-spot decisions that affect multiple aspects of the organization.
- You must want to work in an organization that is fueled by passion, led by strong, experienced, leaders, but with the flair of a startup. Suits and ties need not apply. Only those who are willing to do anything it takes to succeed are welcomed. It is not about titles or badges.
- STRUT welcomes interns who want to stay with the organization after the internship. As we grow, STRUT hopes to offer plenty of potential opportunities. STRUT strives for a model of 2/3 promotion from within, and 1/3 from outside. All previous startup staff were volunteers, interns, or contractors first.
- Must have at least 2 years of professional work experience or equivalent (e.g. research, internships)
- Takes ownership of projects and delivers in advance of deadlines
- Has a track record of success in academic and professional settings
- Displays exceptional interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Has a passion for social change, learning, education, technology and/ or startups
- Is skilled (or wishes to be) in Foosball, air hockey, and Pop-a-Shot (for when we get an office)
About the Organization
STRUT is a NEW high growth, technology based, social venture optimizing individualized learning through emotional intelligence. STRUT’s tools support learning theory to shorten learning time, increase knowledge retention (and thus increase test scores and grades), increase engagement, and increase satisfaction in measurable fashion. Currently most edTech optimizes or adapts content. Instead, we will optimize the overall experience for the learner, not just the content, in a simple clear manner. We plan to make technologies that optimize individual learning for schools and the education technology marketplace (B2B). Ever present is the end in mind: changing learning and exiting. We are working with psychologists, education academics, startup, technology, social emotional learning, and educators. Our advisors include professors, researchers, edtech judges, and startup funders.
Internship positions include but are not limited to:
Project Manager: Do you drive your roommates crazy organizing everything? Drive us crazy instead! Start-ups by nature tend to be disorderly, because moving forward means scrambling in ten directions at once. We need someone to keep things just this side of complete chaos. Make others do your bidding!
Outreach Branding: Shy need not apply! We need engaging, outgoing, energetic people to meet complete strangers in public venues and tell them all about STRUT. Your simple objective is to spread the buzz and develop networking leads for members, advisors, and funders.
Research Assistant: White lab coats on. Nearly all of our concepts will be supported by research. However, since we are pushing new technology, we will also be creating research. Enjoying detective work and being critical? Want to write academic justifications and create new research? We will do real-world studies and publish. If you look up “social emotional learning,” “elementary,” and “technology” there are limited relevant articles. You should have excellent command of research metrics from both this millennium and the previous one.
Financial Models: Get out the HP calculator. The founders last financial model had 150 iterations developed by University of Chicago financial experts. No need for that level at this point. Help us build out our monetization model and get access to all of our secret sauces: ketchup, teriyaki, Korean bbq…