Human Resources Intern - Summer 2021 at SMS Assist
SMS Assist is looking for a Human Resources Intern for our 2021 Summer Internship program!
This is a full time, non-exempt position. The schedule for this position is Monday- Friday 8:00 AM-5:00 PM and will be remote.
The SMS Assist Summer Internship program is a full-time, paid opportunity that will run from June 14th - August 20th. An internship at SMS Assist will provide an opportunity to work with a fast-paced, growing company in Chicago’s vibrant technology scene.
Each intern in our summer group goes through one week of training together as a cohort and are placed in one of our departments, where they’ll spend their time throughout the summer. During the internship, the program interns will work together on an SMS Assist business case and they will present their findings and ideas at the conclusion of the internship for SMS Assist leadership and other key team members. Of course, we have some fun virtual social events thrown in there as well!
Core Responsibilities of the Human Resources Intern
- The Human Resources intern will be assigned to a two-week rotation with each of the five following HR functions; Talent Acquisition, Learning and Development, Employee Relations, Compensation and Benefits, and Payroll and HRIS.
- During the Talent Acquisition rotation, the intern will have the opportunity to review resumes, schedule interviews, and create interactive job postings to share on social media and work on projects including working within our applicant tracking system and learning about the full-cycle recruiting process
- During the Learning and Development rotation, the intern will assist with new hire and continued education training and work on projects including creating and/or updating training documents, resources, and presentations
- During the Employee Relations rotation, the intern will learn about leaves, stay & exit interviews, performance management, and employee investigations
- During the Compensation and Benefits rotation, the intern will learn about benefits, compensation, and total rewards
- During the Payroll and HRIS rotation, the intern will learn about payroll and researching and analyzing data to produce and present various reports
- HR Interns must maintain appropriate confidentiality in dealing with company and employee information
- Above all HR Interns will provide exceptional customer service to our business units and employees
Key Competencies of the Human Resources Intern
- Understanding the value of customer service in the HR environment
- Understanding of Human Resources practices and terminology
- Passion for people and cultivating employee engagement and growth
- Strong communication skills with a focus on asking questions and listening to understand
- Ability to work in teams as well as independently
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of key HR information
Education and Experience
- Must be a rising junior or senior enrolled in a full-time Bachelor’s degree program or a recent graduate
- Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without sponsorship now or in the future (we are unable to hire on F1 or OPT visas at this time for our summer program)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Traits: Attention to detail, team player, self-directed, and motivated
- Interest in HR, training, employee relations, employee engagement, culture, recruiting, branding for talent, benefits, compensation, and/or total rewards
- Must be able to start the SMS Assist Summer Internship program on June 14th, 2020 and continue with the internship program until it commences on August 30th, 2020
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities, and schedule may change at any time with or without notice.
- This is a full time non-exempt position
- The schedule for this position is Monday – Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM, remote.
- The 10-week internship program runs from June 14th – August 30th
- Internally this position is known as Intern
SMS Assist is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reasons prohibited by law.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities, and schedule may change at any time with or without notice.