Legal Externship (Summer 2022) at Civis Analytics
What we do
At Civis Analytics, we bring objective, data-driven truth to organizational decision-making—from the boardroom to the world’s largest progressive social causes.
This mission isn’t an aspiration: it’s something we see realized every day, and it brings purpose to everything we’re working on.
We combine a sophisticated SaaS product with our specialized data science consultancy to empower tens of thousands of active users to make millions of data-driven decisions every month. From joining disparate data sources and automating reporting, to building more elaborate models of targeted audiences and optimizing messages for them, organizations like the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the City of Boston, and iHeart Radio trust Civis’s technology to make their most critical decisions.
Core to our product and consulting offerings is Civis Platform, which makes it easy to import, manage, transform, analyze, and report on data. Our customers love Civis Platform because it empowers them to focus on finding data-driven answers to their most critical questions—in other words, we empower them to run their business, rather than running a tech stack.
Learn more about Civis at www.civisanalytics.com.
All employees either must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, initiate vaccination before your start date, or file an exemption request prior to start date per company policy for review. Due to the uncertainty of COVID-19, all Civis offices are closed and employees are remote until further notice. This is being closely monitored as the situation evolves. Although it’s likely our offices will reopen, positions hired outside of Civis office locations will be remote roles.
What we're looking for
Civis Analytics is seeking a curious, enthusiastic, and conscientious law student for an externship.You will work with the Legal team to grow the business and address a wide range of novel and complex issues in a fast-growing data analytics technology and services company. We are looking for someone who will become an integral part of our collaborative, business-focused legal team.
- Work closely with legal and compliance professionals on a variety of business matters
- Assist with all phases of the contract management lifecycle
- Review licensing agreements, technology and analytics services agreements, NDAs, and technology partnership contracts
- Research and draft guidance on issues relating to privacy, cybersecurity, compliance, and various U.S. and international laws
- Draft policies and procedures relating to various legal and compliance issues
You'll be a great fit for this opportunity if you’re a self-starter, someone who's willing to develop their own workload, and someone who welcomes mentorship on projects.
- Good standing as a student at an ABA accredited law school
- A demonstrated interest in intellectual property, data privacy and protection, and technology licensing
- Team player with a positive, collaborative attitude and your ego checked at the door
- Superb written and verbal communication skills
- Desire to be challenged constantly and to rise to those challenges
- You're not afraid to make mistakes, but you learn quickly from those mistakes
- Exceptional creative and critical thinking skills and an ability to adapt quickly on the fly
- Understanding that no job is too big or too small, and that every task has a purpose in developing the legal presence and benefiting the company
- Ability to thrive in an environment where you roll up your sleeves and own outcomes
- Must be able to work 20 hours a week
Who we are
Civis offers opportunities for newcomers, seasoned professionals, and anyone in between. Our teams are energized by complex challenges and value diversity of thought. Opportunities to stand out and inspire happen daily, and we trust and encourage you to act on your ideas—no matter how big they are.
We offer you the tools and community you need to do your best work. Each of us is committed to holding ourselves accountable for results, challenging the status quo, and finding new ways to help our company—and each other—grow.
Why join our team?
- Remote internship opportunity
- Offering credit at an ABA accredited law school
- Weekly lunch & learns
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal, and inclusive workplace.
Civis embraces the individuality of our employees, and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our Civis community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us [email protected]
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
EEO IS THE LAW