Morningstar Development Program for Technologists
The Program: We built the Morningstar Development Program for Technologists to evolve recent college graduates and prepare them for successful, long-term careers at our company. Throughout this two-year program, you will tackle different roles across Morningstar's technology business. In the Technology organization, you’ll be part of a diverse team that builds innovative and useful software that users love, using contemporary techniques, tools, and infrastructure. From Day 1, you’ll be immersed in the role, and we’ll invest in your career development as you discover what areas of technology are best aligned to your interests, skills, and the needs of the business.
The Role: The Morningstar Development Program for technologists is accepting applicants with zero to two years of full-time work experience. We are looking for self-starters who see technology as an art, understands business goals, and can build scalable, flexible software solutions by taking technical direction and applying modern software development and quality practices. We expect that you’ve mastered the technologies, languages, or development environments you’ve been working with—whichever they may be—and that you will be able to learn any technology or language that’s needed.
All positions are based in our Chicago office.
- Design and develop Java, .NET, and Objective-C applications to be flexible, scalable, and robust; collaborate on object-oriented designs, domain modeling, and quality assurance
- Contribute to ongoing training sessions, stretch projects, and roundtable discussions while developing a strong foundation of knowledge to use
- Develop critical skills and areas of expertise that will prepare you for advancement into positions across the organization
- Adhere to good Agile practices such as test-driven development, continuous integration, and automated deployment
- Write and execute automated functional and unit tests
- Working with cross-functional teams across the globe
- Analyze and address production issues; build instrumentation and operational readiness into the system architecture
- Act as a software guardian by taking ownership of nonfunctional elements, architectural direction, and the quality of the code, while addressing technical debt
- Support architectural, design, and engineering practices to launch products to Morningstar’s private cloud
- An exceptional academic record
- Excellent coding skills
- The ability to integrate into a team and work well with others
- Experience in analysis, design, coding, and implementation of large-scale Java object-oriented applications and modern web applications
- Strong knowledge of object-oriented design including design patterns and their applicability
- Experience with Agile methodologies such as Extreme Programming (XP) and Scrum
- Knowledge of good design practices like encapsulation, composition, and engineering with continuous integration and test-driven development
- Awareness of activity in the open-source world; contribution to the open-source community is a big asset
- Knowledge of UNIX/Linux and exposure to MySQL/SQL Server databases
- A bachelor’s degree or higher
- 0-2 years of experience
If you are passionate about a role outside of technology, please apply to the general Morningstar Development Program. You cannot apply to both programs.