Morningstar Residency Program at Morningstar
The Program: The Morningstar Residency Program is designed to provide those with an associate’s degree a full time salaried opportunity to gain experience while they attain their Bachelor’s degree. It will provide participants with experience across Morningstar’s technical core competencies including software engineering, quality assurance, DevOps engineering, information security, and infrastructure/network engineering.
Fueling the technologies that drive our products and support our company’s infrastructure, the Technology team consists of talented developers, network architects, and IT experts who help make technology one of Morningstar’s core strengths. Though our technologists represent a range of skills and knowledge bases, they all view technology as a craft and care deeply about creating positive user experiences. From Agile methodologies to mobile applications, to software as a service (SaaS) delivered from our private cloud, we push technology’s boundaries to build scalable, elegant solutions that help investors reach their financial goals.
Our Product Groups:
Individual Investor – building products like Morningstar.com and mobile apps for individuals like yourself
Institutional Investor – developing some of our flagship products like Morningstar Direct for institutional investors and our Advisor products for financial advisors
Workplace – this is where we build and provide our hosted digital advice platform for Retirement plans, 401K’s, etc. (what some call robo-advisors)
Data – this is the heart of Morningstar where all data is sourced, collected, transformed, calculated and distributed across the world
The Role: The team is looking for forward-thinking problem solvers who thrive in a fast-paced environment. In this role, you will collaborate with the team lead, Scrum Master, business analysts, QA, and other developers to build technology solutions for Morningstar’s Indexes applications using a variety of frontend and backend technologies including AWS (ECS, Lambda, S3, DynamoDB, RDS), Spring-boot microservices, Kafka, Docker, Node.js, and Vue.js. You will also support existing systems, study their enterprise complexities and develop/implement better systems with modern software development practices. You will need to develop a good understanding of the platform and the data model over time. You need to be passionate about technology, curious, and able to learn and experiment independently.
- Participate in Agile ceremonies, design sessions, and help develop and maintain the software code base of Indexes in both traditional and cloud-based architectures.
- Help implement software solutions that meet product requirements and quality needs with respect to functionality, performance, scalability, reliability, schedules and adherence to Indexes goals and principles.
- Continually improve your skills by learning independently and from the members of your team
- Follow good development practices like test driven development and continuous integration
- Bring new ideas to the team and promote innovation
- Completed associate’s degree
- Enrolled in a Bachelor’s degree program in Computer Science or related
- Excellent listening, written and verbal communication skills
- Passionate about technology and self-learner
Good to Have:
- Experience in Java, C#, Python, or Node.js
- Knowledge of more than one programming language.
- Experience with modern development practices in areas of product design, requirement analysis, test driven development, and test automation
- Strong computer science fundamentals
- Hands on experience with SQL and/or NoSQL databases (preferably MS SQL/RDS/DynamoDB/Athena).
- Knowledge/Certification of AWS (ECS, Lambda, S3, DynamoDB, Athena, RDS, Glue)
- Knowledge of Docker, Kubernetes, or other containerization platforms
- Knowledge of web UI frameworks like Vue.js, React, or Angular
- Awareness of or contribution to open source is a big plus.
Employment is contingent on continuous enrollment through the length of the program.