PEAK6 FinTech Experience for Women (Summer Internship)
Located in the historic Chicago Board of Trade building, PEAK6 is redefining what it means to be a fintech firm. PEAK6 was brought to life by the idea that the development of integrative technology can improve how business is done. The passion for that idea powers our firm still, 20 years later. We operate with a focused, entrepreneurial drive and we constantly push ourselves to think differently all the time.
We’ve taken that entrepreneurial drive and developed a new and unique experience in fintech-focused software development designed specifically for women. We know women make outstanding developers and technologists, but there are just not a lot of female developers in the field (yet). We want that to change. Starting today. Starting with you.
The PEAK6 Fintech Experience is designed to encourage smart, ambitious, competitive women to break the mold. We know about the tech industry’s reputation for being too male-driven (Hello, Silicon Valley), and even more so within the financial sector.
To us, investing in women is a solid strategy. That’s why our Fintech Experience is designed to do just that. It’s customized to introduce you to the basics of software development, help you see how empowering it can be, and help you develop key skills that you’ll leverage throughout your career (even if you decide being a developer isn’t for you). And, you’ll have an opportunity to interact and collaborate with our developers and technologists on a daily basis. So you can experience first-hand the level of collaboration and teamwork our tech team embraces.
You will collaborate and learn from some of the industry’s sharpest minds as you explore unique solutions and try fresh ideas that will benefit our financial services, trading businesses, and investment companies while working on current projects within the firm.
Sound intriguing? We’d love to hear from you. Participate in our nine week PEAK6 Fintech Experience with other ambitious women like you from all around the country. And if you’re concerned about not knowing everything you need to know, don’t be — we’ll teach you.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Learns quickly. You’re intellectually curious and genuinely interested in data. You ask why, and push to identify areas of improvement.
- Is ambitious. You’re driven to be the best. You challenge yourself by setting goals, beating them, and helping your teammates do the same. Your work ethic is legendary.
- Loves data. You use data to find new opportunities and take smart risks. You follow your instincts, but support your ideas with data.
- Is courageous. You’re willing to challenge the status quo. You trust your instincts and will say what you think, even if it’s controversial. You’re a born leader.
- Operates with integrity. You always conduct yourself with honesty and operate ethically. You say what you mean, and mean what you say.
What you can expect
- A fast-paced, invigorating environment that offers new challenges every day.
- Financial markets are constantly evolving – so are we.
- Continuous iteration and improvement.
- Your users work on the same floor as you, so the design-develop-deploy cycle is about as succinct as you’ll find
- Working with some of the sharpest, most collaborative people you’ll meet.
- Not much happens in a vacuum here. Our team thrives on collaboration and the ability to count on one another to get things done. We want you to share your ideas.
- Open to current juniors/rising seniors (graduating Dec. 2018 – June 2019)
- Minimum GPA: 3.0
- Working knowledge of a modern programming language — object-oriented languages are a plus
- Preferred fields of study: Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related technical discipline with a focus on software development
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills