PhD Data Science Intern – Summer 2021
Vail Systems is looking for a summer intern who is currently enrolled in a PhD program in Computer Science, Data Science, Mathematics, Human Computer Interaction, Natural Language Processing, Computational Linguistics or a related field to work with us on some of the challenges in natural language processing (NLP).
The student must be conducting research in NLP and should be able to understand, codify and extract meaning from multiple communication modalities (speech, text), and build new or improve existing models using state-of-the-art machine learning techniques. In addition, preference will be given to candidates with demonstrated proficiency in sentence-generative language models such as BERT and GPT-3. The student will work with a team of researchers to gain insight from trying new machine learning approaches and will work with practitioners to transition the research to a proof-of-concept.
- Currently enrolled in a PhD program in Computer Science, Data Science, Mathematics, Human Computer Interaction, Natural Language Processing, Computational Linguistics or a related field.
- 1+ year experience with machine learning and natural language processing.
- Strong verbal and writing communication skills.
- Ability to independently execute a research agenda and collaborate effectively with other researchers and engineers.
- Proficiency in Python or R.
- Experience with deep learning platforms, such as PyTorch, Tensor Flow, CNTK, specifically as they relate to the implementation of state-of-the-art deep learning models (including, but not limited to transformer-based models).
- Existing body of relevant research contributions, such as peer-reviewed publications at top-tier conferences and journals related to ML/NLP.
Vail Systems Company Profile
The human voice is capable of conveying nuances and meaning that just can’t be expressed through clicks and chat messages. For this reason, voice interactions have always had a special power to shape our perceptions and experiences. At Vail, we believe in the unique power of voice interactions to create more expressive and efficient interpersonal interactions. Our experts work with Fortune 500 companies to help them serve their customers more effectively through the use of various voice technologies. From basic network services, to state-of-the-art IP telephony, to cutting edge real-time analytics, Vail technology makes millions of voice interactions better every day.