Product Design Intern
Be the first of your friends to declare, “I love my internship!” and actually mean it. Laugh hard and work hard with some of the best and brightest in the tech industry.
GrubHub Holdings Inc. is the nation's leading online and mobile food-ordering company dedicated to connecting hungry diners with local takeout restaurants. The Grubhub portfolio of brands includes Grubhub, Seamless, Eat24, AllMenus and MenuPages. The company’s online and mobile ordering platforms allow diners to order from 85,000 takeout restaurants in over 1,600 U.S. cities and London. Every order is supported by the company’s 24/7 customer service teams. Grubhub has offices in Chicago, New York and London.
Join us for an exciting 12-week program that will allow you to work on a product that you and your friends actually use alongside some amazing developers. You’ll have the chance to learn more about the business and industry through lunch and learns and explore the city with fun summer intern events. Come experience an exciting tech company with all of the usual perks - happy hours on our rooftop deck, Learning Fridays, tons of free food, and more.
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle
About the Opportunity:
You believe design is a verb, not a deliverable. That experience design is 80% thinking or collaborating and 20% putting pixels in place. You know (as much as you might fight it) the constraints of technology are just as important as their promise, because it’s in the constraints we find our best ideas. Someone who sees the patterns in the chaos and knows how to translate those patterns into tools for the design teams. You know there’s a time for going wide, a time for going deep, and understand how to bring the product delivery teams you work with through both stages. You are a thinker, a maker, and a passionate advocate for the Minimum Delightful Product approach to the mantra of “move fast and ship it.”
Some Challenges You’ll Tackle:
- Turn everything from nebulous concepts to specific ideas into useful, delightful product features
- Design holistic systems, flows and interfaces that are simple, elegant, and beautiful
- Advocate for the customer in all decisions with the product, engineering, and design teams
- Draw insights from the work of our talented research team and know how to turn those insights into tangible solutions
- Partner with product, engineers, and the members of the design and research teams to oversee the user experience of a product from conception until launch
You Should Have
You Should Have:
- Currently pursuing advanced degree within design related field
- Applied experience with service design practices and a practice of constantly evolving your design process
- Applied experience working across all digital and physical manifestations of what we design - from responsive web to native applications to the next technological leap
- Understanding of prototyping methodologies and practices, user research methodologies and A/B test planning/execution
- An acute self-awareness and deep empathy - for both the customer and your team’s goals
- Excellent communication and data visualization skills. You can bring internal stakeholders on your design journey and support your decisions with focus and brevity
- A deep curiosity and ability to consider product strategy and vision. You don’t just care about “how it looks,” or “what we should design,” but “why are we designing this at all?”
And Of Course, Perks!
We deliver favorites every day. Join us as we move eating forward.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. Grubhub is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.