Software Engineer Internship - 2019
About the Company
Are you interested in full stack development? Do you want to spend your summer having a direct impact on our data science platform? Civis Analytics is looking for a software engineer intern to join the team for the summer!
Civis Analytics helps businesses use data to gain a competitive advantage in how they identify, attract, and engage loyal customers and employees. With a powerful combination of best-in-class proprietary data, cutting-edge software solutions, and an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis works with Fortune 500 companies and the country’s largest nonprofits to make data-driven decision-making essential to how the world’s best companies do business.
About the Role
Software Engineers are responsible for building the backbone of Civis Analytics: the processing, automation, tooling and front-end features for our cutting-edge data science platform. As a Software Engineering Intern, you will join our Chicago-based technology team, working collaboratively with other builders -- engineers, designers and data scientists -- on rapidly evolving products.
You'll get to experience the pace and opportunity of a startup while receiving excellent mentorship in full stack web development. Our interns take on real projects and regularly ship software to our production SaaS application throughout the summer. If you are a college student who thrives on working on everything from idea to execution, we want to talk to you.
We are looking for 2020 graduates only. Our summer internships are a full-time, 10 week commitment with two start dates to accommodate both semester and quarter students. Civis is looking for detail-oriented individuals from diverse backgrounds with demonstrated quantitative and problem-solving skills. We value creativity, hard work and on-the-job-excellence and offer competitive compensation and benefits packages. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.
- Completing undergraduate degree program in Computer Science, or a related subject
- Working familiarity with SQL databases
- Working familiarity with Python or Ruby or similar
- Love of problem-solving
- An ability and eagerness to constantly learn and teach others
- Graduate degree in Computer Science or a related subject
- A previous software development internship
Experience with one or more of the following:
- Developing large web applications
- Web frameworks such as Rails
- RESTful API design
- Go (golang)
- Cloud application deployment and monitoring
- Using and administering Amazon Web Services (AWS) products
- Political technology and data
- Knowledge of machine learning