Software Engineering Intern: Summer 2019
Flexport (YC 2014) is a fast growing startup solving the biggest problems you've probably never heard of.
Our team is bringing a Silicon Valley approach to the antiquated industries of freight, trade & logistics (~12% of global GDP) by building the first online operating system for global trade. Are you curious what it was like to work at an industry-defining company like Amazon or Airbnb in the early days? We are looking for world-class software engineers to join us on the journey to automate many of the most painful and complex processes in the last industry to go untouched by technology.
With a total addressable market of $1 trillion, we've raised $204M from investors like Peter Thiel’s Founders Fund, Google Ventures, First Round Capital, Bloomberg Beta, and Y Combinator to drive this mission. Join our team of top engineers we've brought over from Google, Airbnb, Facebook, Amazon, LinkedIn, Twitter, Khan Academy & more. Get a front row ticket to the inner workings of transforming and growing this global industry.
What you’ll do
- Maturely own a project that has serious impact on Flexport's business
- Work across a cutting-edge tech stack using React, ES2017, Ruby, Relay & GraphQL
- Write code that contributes to our core product - you won't be tossed a list of edge-case bugs nobody else wants to solve
- Have an experienced mentor who considers it their job to make sure you're growing the skills you need
- Organize fragmented data from the world of freight forwarding into intelligible data models that drive efficiency in our core application
- Build scalable programs that standardize information flow & increase operational efficiency
- Be a part of a close-knit engineering team that ships new code every twenty minutes
What you’ll need
- An ability to chew through difficult software problems. You leave a trail of successful software projects in your wake
- A product-first approach to building software. You care about the real world functionality of your programming
- Have a bias for action & strive for excellence
- A desire to work hard and the curiosity to learn
- Twelve weeks of availability. This internship has two start dates to select from in May and June 2019.
What you’ll get
- A competitive salary
- A flight to CHI & back home
- Always a free lunch— and breakfast, dinner & snacks to boot!
- Our downtown CHI office is conveniently located in the heart of the city, close to public transit and near the best bars & restaurants the city has to offer.
- When you work with the best, you want to hang with the best. We regularly have team & company events & offsites
How to apply
- Fill out the form below
- Include a link to a project or two (we really like to see these, but they’re not a requirement). We like living, breathing projects with users, interesting demos, or anything else you’re passionate about. Please don’t just send code – explain why you wrote it, show us what it’s for, what you like about it, how it helps someone, etc. No project is too small if it’s something you care about!
- If you’d like to send a more traditional cover letter addressing your interest in Flexport, please feel free to attach that below. We read them all.
We deploy every 20 minutes with our Buildkite CI setup. Our frontend is built with Flow-typed ES2017. We have around 1500 React components and 100 Flux stores, though we’re beginning to use GraphQL & Relay to replace Flux. We test the frontend with Jest and enzyme. On the backend, we're a Rails shop riding on Postgres RDS and AWS.
Learn more about our work
- The Flexport engineering blog
- Blog post from past intern Stephane Young (now a full-time engineer)
- TechCrunch doesn’t think we’re sexy enough
- Our CEO, Ryan, on FastCompany’s “Challengers” series (don’t worry, he’s not so dramatic IRL)