About the role:
PEAK6 is a leading investment firm headquartered in Chicago. More than 20 years ago, we were one of the first firms to develop sophisticated proprietary technology in our trading business. We’ve taken our passion for technology and created a software development experience designed to introduce women to the FinTech industry. Our Tech Experience is meant to encourage smart, ambitious, tech-savvy women to break the mold. We’ve heard all the myths about FinTech—too cutthroat, too intense, too risky—but we know that’s not the case at PEAK6. We know women make outstanding developers and technologists, but there are not enough female developers in the FinTech field yet. We are changing that.
You can expect our internship to include:
- Working on an impactful project from concept to delivery and presenting your work to senior leadership
- Developing innovative tools to integrate with our proprietary trading platform. Some examples from previous years include tooling for low-latency market data streams, a data dependency framework and visualization tool, and an analytics framework and visualization tool for application usage.
- One-on-one mentorship focused on your learning and growth while progressing on your project
- Education sessions to learn about financial markets and the tech behind our trading platform
- Rotations and project deep-dives with our development teams
- Exposure to various other PEAK6 businesses and senior leadership
- Multiple opportunities to hear and learn from women in the FinTech space, both within PEAK6 and from other organizations
- Integration with our development teams – including stand-ups, team meetings, and project planning sessions
- Close collaboration with business stakeholders and end users on projects
- Dynamic, fast-paced work environment where the need to stay ahead of the curve means you’ll learn every day
You’ll gain loads of experience in our internship but before you do, you should have:
- Availability to work from June - August 2022
- Competent software development skills in a modern object-oriented programming language and the ability to learn new languages and technologies quickly
- Desire and drive to learn about FinTech
We'd love to hear about:
- Exceptional problem-solving skills with high attention to detail
- Curiosity to learn and a drive to improve
- Ability to thrive in collaborative environments
- Effective communication skills
- Demonstrated leadership ability
*Due to the unprecedented situation of COVID-19, PEAK6 has decided to protect our current and future employees by managing our business remotely. This is inclusive of interviewing, onboarding and each role day-to-day. Please consider that our roles will not be remote long-term and will return to a hybrid office setting once we're safe to do so following the guidance of local health authorities and the CDC.
PEAK6 currently requires all employees as a condition of employment to either be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or submit to regular testing. The CDC defines "fully vaccinated" as two weeks after the second dose for Pfizer and Moderna, and two weeks after the single dose of Johnson & Johnson. PEAK6 will also require proof of vaccination and/or testing. PEAK6 will also consider requests for exemption from these requirements as a reasonable accommodation for medical reasons or sincerely held religious beliefs.