Strategy Intern - Summer 2019
What We Do
Uptake helps industrial companies digitally transform with open, purpose-built software that delivers outcomes that matter. Built on a foundation of data science and machine learning, our vision is to create a world that always works — one where the machines and equipment we depend on daily don’t break, and industrial companies are once again the creators of economic growth and opportunity.
What Our Team Does
The Executive Office is responsible for strategically leveraging Uptake’s CEO and President to execute the company’s vision. Our team is a lean, agile group of individuals who work collaboratively to support the business through three primary functions:
- Strategy Management – business operations and enterprise analytics
- Stakeholder Management – executive workflow and communications
- Project Management – cross-functional collaboration and special projects
What You’ll Do
As Strategy Intern in the Executive Office, you'll work hand-in-hand with the Chief of Staff to the CEO and the team's strategy associate. You'll interface with senior leaders across the company and gain hands-on exposure working with a variety of teams. You will be encouraged to forge your own experience and take ownership of the work you do. This requires a “Get Things Done” mentality, a passion for learning, and a willingness to work both collaboratively and on your own.
Typical day-to-day tasks include the following:
- Conducting market research about competitors and prospective customers
- Analyzing internal company data and preparing business intelligence reports
- Evaluating current business processes at Uptake and designing new systems to improve operational efficiency
- Providing project management support for independent and cross-functional projects (e.g., drafting project plans, coordinating stakeholder work streams, identifying and managing project risks, etc.)
- Contributing to high-impact discussions about the company’s vision and strategy
- Pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in a field you’re passionate about
- Planning to graduate in Spring 2020
- Interested in artificial intelligence, machine learning, and industrial IoT
- Knowledge of applied statistics and basic econometrics
- Experience with (and proclivity for) data-driven decision making
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
Why Work Here
Uptake is a values-driven organization, and we are excited about what we do. We’re flexible, honest, hardworking, and collaborative. As a team, we bring our diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and experiences together to solve tough, important problems. We support and challenge one another to bring out the best in each of us, and we might have a little fun along the way. We’re also proud to be one of Chicago’s best places to work in 2018 according to Forbes and Great Place to Work Institute.
We offer generous benefits including health, dental, vision, parental leave, 401K match, and unlimited vacation. We are lifelong learners, and our Uptake University program offers training and professional development on a wide variety of topics. We also have employee-led community groups including [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], and many more. Learn more at https://www.uptake.com/careers.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Uptake welcomes and encourages applications from all individuals, without regard to any prohibited ground of discrimination, including from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.