Associate Counsel, Employment at Affirm
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
Affirm is looking for a thoughtful and skilled employment lawyer to join the Legal Department as Associate Counsel, Employment. Reporting to Corporate Counsel, Employment & Litigation, you will be an integral member of the growing Employment Legal team, and will partner with Affirm’s dynamic and fast-growing People organization, including but not limited to Platform Programs, Talent, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI), Organizational Effectiveness (Learning & Development, and Feedback & Development), People Business Partners, Compensation, Employee Relations, and many other departments. You will advise these groups and more to help deliver on our values, including “People Come First,” while working in a fast-paced environment.
Come join us in our mission to deliver honest financial products that improve lives!What You'll Do
- Provide pragmatic advice and guidance on domestic and global employment matters, including, but not limited to, wage-and-hour policy implications, reasonable accommodations, employee relations investigations, leaves of absence, DEI, compensation plans, employee performance, separations, immigration, and employee benefits
- Draft and/or edit employment agreements and new policies
- Collaborate and influence stakeholders through oral and written communications
- Develop and present trainings to managers and People Business Partners
- As needed, oversee and manage administrative claims, litigation, and outside counsel
- Assist with due diligence relating to mergers and acquisitions
- Partner closely with Employee Relations and Ethics teams
- Monitor legal developments and proactively educate key partners and Employment Legal team
- J.D. from an accredited law school and licensed and in good standing to practice law in at least California, Illinois, New York, or Pennsylvania
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant legal experience at a leading law firm and/or as in-house counsel
- Solid knowledge of key U.S. employment laws, including but not limited to, Title VII, ADEA, FCRA (in the employment context), FMLA, ADA, FLSA, EPA, NLRA, and state equivalents
- Laser-focus on client-service excellence by being highly proactive, responsive, adaptable, and team-oriented
- Demonstrated ability to develop solutions to complex legal matters without losing sight of business objectives
- Outstanding organizational skills to handle multiple projects simultaneously and effectively prioritize deadlines
- Excellent communication skills and attention to detail
- Have a good sense of humor, personal integrity, and intellectual curiosity
- Working knowledge of employee benefits considerations, including 409A and ERISA
- Working knowledge of privacy issues that intersect with employment (e.g., CA CCPA or GDPR)
- Working knowledge of non-compete and non-solicitation agreements
We’re excited to announce that Affirm is now a remote-first company! This role can be located anywhere in the U.S). Remote based employees may occasionally travel to an Affirm office for meetings or team building events. Our offices in San Francisco, New York City, Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Salt Lake City will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis.