Associate Counsel, Product at Affirm
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
We’re looking for an energetic and hardworking lawyer to join our growing Product Counsel Legal team. This individual will report to the Product Counsel Team and will be primarily responsible for supporting the Team in developing new consumer credit products as well as expanding on features to existing products. The best candidate will be flexible enough to lead a wide range of projects and matters in support of Affirm’s multiple strategic objectives.
Come join us in our mission to change consumer finance through better technology, lower costs, and increased transparency while providing the best customer experience!What You’ll Do
- Provide guidance to Affirm’s business teams regarding legal issues related to all new consumer credit products and features to existing products throughout the entire product development lifecycle and beyond
- Remain up to date on relevant industry, consumer protection, marketing, and privacy laws and regulations in order to provide an ongoing ability to deliver sound compliance advice
- Draft terms and conditions, disclosures, and implement related processes
- Identify and promote process-enhancement through gap analyses between existing policies and procedures and business activities
- Understand company-wide KRIs, KPIs, and other metrics to in order to develop systems and processes to support Affirm’s rapid expansion in the product and e-commerce area and beyond if necessary
- Identify and evaluate business and legal risks, and find creative ways to mitigate them while achieving business goals
- Work proactively with Affirm’s strategic partners, vendors and other third-parties
- Manage special projects supporting both Legal and Compliance functions, including drafting and compiling regulatory requirements
- J.D. degree and a state bar member in good standing
- 4+ years of law firm or in-house experience, ideally related to consumer financial services regulatory analysis, product development, privacy and data security, compliance, regulatory relations or operational functions
- Proven experience as a key contributing member of a high performing team
- Inquisitive and proactive in identifying risks and proposing creative and effective solutions
- Strong project management, critical thinking and analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to present complex and sensitive issues to senior management in a clear and persuasive manner (verbally and in writing)
- Experience developing approaches to legal challenges while providing business-focused legal advice
- Passion for improving consumer credit products and customer experiences
- Experience in launching products in international markets
- Experience taking on projects involving unfamiliar subject matters
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2020 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.