Upwork ($UPWK) is the world's largest freelancing website. Each year $1.7 billion of work happens through Upwork, allowing businesses to get more done and helping professionals break free of traditional time and place boundaries and work anytime, anywhere on projects they love. At Upwork, you'll help build on this momentum. Together, we'll create economic and social value on a global scale, providing a trusted online workplace for businesses to connect with extraordinary talent and work without limits.
You'll join the award-winning Upwork Legal Team. We are a collaborative, trusting and high-performing team that loves to work on state-of-the art legal issues and generate practical solutions. The team has a passion for what we do that has been recognized in the industry. In 2016, we won The Recorder’s prestigious Legal Department of the Year (Emerging Companies) award.
This rare in-house opportunity is ideal for employment counsel seeking to make a direct business impact. You will focus on 50-state and global worker classification and employment law support for our Upwork Enterprise solution, which is used by nearly 20% of the Fortune 500 and growing. You will monitor legal developments and partner to provide high-caliber contingent workforce solutions for large companies.
- Provide legal support for our Upwork Enterprise Compliance solution with a focus on independent contractor classification and U.S. and global staffing agency employment law compliance.
- Advise the Enterprise Compliance Team on worker classification and contracting for a high volume of engagements.
- Support the Upwork Payroll Team and help vet U.S. and global staffing agencies.
- Partner with the Enterprise Sales and Success teams to meet Enterprise client needs in a diverse range of legal areas, such as worker classification, contracts, and background checks.
- Help Marketing craft informative content on legal and industry topics.
What it takes to catch our eye:
- 2 to 4 years' experience practicing employment law.
- Licensed to practice law in Illinois or state of residence.
- Expertise in contingent workforce legal issues, including federal and state employment law.
How to really knock our socks off:
- Am Law 100 or staffing experience.
- Expertise in any of these areas a plus: international employment law, contract law, FCRA/background check compliance, or payroll taxes.
- Strong oral and written communication skills to explain complex concepts for a variety of audiences.
- Nuanced legal analysis and advisory skills to provide advice and options to meet myriad business needs.
- Ability to collaborate cross-functionally with business and other partners across the company and willingness to travel occasionally.
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork you’ll help shape the future of work. From our offices in San Francisco, Mountain View and Chicago, together we’re creating exciting new opportunities for a world of professionals. You’ll be part of a vibrant culture built on shared values: Inspire a boundless future of work, Put our community first, Have a bias towards action, and Build amazing teams. Along the way you’ll have fun and enjoy the perks of a people-first company: Work from Home Wednesday's, daily breakfast and lunch, regular in-office happy hours, top-notch benefits … and more. Check out Upwork’s spotlight on The Muse for a glimpse of our daily work/life balance.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.