Associate General Counsel, Consumer Product at Affirm
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm, Inc. proudly includes Affirm, PayBright, and Returnly.
We at Affirm seek a positive, dedicated lawyer to join us as an Associate General Counsel (AGC) of Consumer Product. This AGC will counsel on innovative consumer credit products and features on existing products. Affirm is on a mission to improve consumer finance through better technology, lower costs, and increased transparency! We seek teammates who are flexible and enjoy diversity: able to manage various projects and matters at a time.What You’ll Do
- Counsel Affirm business teams on product-development legal issues, from inception to production and maintenance
- Provide strategic advice regarding state and federal lending and consumer protection laws
- Monitor legal and regulatory developments in consumer lending and servicing
- Exist as a trusted advisor and teammate, sharing legal and other expertise and support when needed
- Learn Affirm initiatives and outflows so that you can support Affirm’s rapid expansion in the product and e-commerce areas
- Identify and evaluate business and legal risks, plus find creative ways to mitigate them while achieving business goals
- Work across a spectrum of sophisticated legal, business, and strategic issues
- J.D. degree and U.S. state bar admission, in good standing
- 12+ years of legal experience regarding federal and state consumer protection and lending laws, product development, financial technology, and financial services; in-house experience is preferred
- Background as a key member of a successful team
- Inquisitive about identifying legal issues and risks and proposing creative solutions
- Consistent background crafting and encouraging relationships across all levels: operating through influence, formulating plans, advocating, and driving plans forward
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including diplomacy, sensitivity, and interacting well with senior management
- Detailed and flexible: able to decide independently, work with limited supervision, and enjoy a fast-paced environment of innovation
- Inquisitive nature: likes to pose questions, challenge processes, etc.
- Experience in leading and delivering cross-functional initiatives, collaborating with business and functional colleagues to guide on risk and design enhancement
- Strong project management, critical thinking and analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to present sophisticated issues in a clear and persuasive manner
- Passionate about honesty and transparency: we're here to improve consumer credit and service experience
Location - Remote U.S.
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of the U.S. Territories, Quebec, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories) unless the job indicates a different global location. We are currently building operations in Spain, Poland, and Australia. Employees in remote roles have the option of working remotely or from an Affirm office in their country of hire, and may occasionally travel to an Affirm office or elsewhere for required meetings or team-building events. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Toronto will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis, subject to local COVID-19 guidelines.
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2020 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.