Associate General Counsel
RN seeks an Associate General Counsel who will partner with the business to provide general legal support focused on commercial transactions and high-quality legal counsel on product initiatives, privacy law and regulatory issues. Rewards Network has defined multiple growth initiatives focusing on new partnerships, product development and M&A. This position will be a critical partner to the success of these growth initiatives across the business. The Associate General Counsel will report to the Chief People & Legal Officer and will additionally manage and supervise the Contracts & Compliance Paralegal.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Work with Business Development team to prepare, negotiate and close rewards program partnership agreements with financial institutions, credit card networks and new economy companies
- Advise national sales team and internal operations teams on terms of client agreements for participating restaurants (marketing services agreements and financing/receivables purchase agreements)
- Manage and supervise Contracts & Compliance Paralegal who supports legal review of day-to-day agreements such as vendor contracts, non-disclosure agreements and statements of work
- Support M&A transactions such as acquisitions of complementary companies
- Provide business counsel on privacy-related legal and regulatory matters, as well as regulatory matters associated with Rewards Network’s merchant cash advance/receivables purchase product
- Deliver general legal counsel as required by the business on issues such as intellectual property and employment law
- J.D., accredited law school
- Licensed to practice law in the State of Illinois
- Combination of law firm and in-house counsel experience
- Experience in a growth-oriented technology or ecommerce company is strongly preferred
- Ability to independently draft, negotiate and close a commercial transaction, including a complex technology transaction
- Experience in a sales-focused environment
- Exposure to financial services regulatory matters is preferred
- Ability to partner effectively with internal business partners across multiple functions and at multiple levels of seniority
- Practical, solution-oriented frame of mind
- Someone who thrives in a fast-paced business environment with multiple demands
Rewards Network (RN) is a fintech provider of a merchant-funded rewards platform servicing the payments industries through some of the most prominent affinity brands in the U.S. Over the last 30 years, the company has built an unparalleled network of 20 premier loyalty brands, 15 million affluent rewards-seeking members, and over 10,000 local independent restaurants. Through this network, Rewards Network provides marketing and financing services to its restaurant partners, with a demonstrated ability to drive incremental spend into those restaurants.
The company has launched several exciting rewards program partnerships, including Visa and Uber, in the last two years and has achieved scale and significant profitability. Acquired by TowerBrook Capital Partners in Q3 2017, the company has embarked on making its tech-enabled financial and marketing services for restaurants the leading products to enable small business’ success and multiplying its network of merchants and members. Ed Eger has led Rewards Network as CEO since TowerBrook’s acquisition. Ed was most recently president and CEO of OANDA, an online technology platform for trading, payments and data services. He previously served as PayPal's Senior Vice president and General Manager of the Americas, and before that was CEO of Citigroup's international cards business.