Associate Legal Counsel - (North America) at Thoughtworks
Thoughtworks is a global software consultancy with an aim to create a positive impact on the world through technology. Our community of technologists thinks disruptively to deliver pragmatic solutions for our clients' most complex challenges. We are curious minds who come together as collaborative and inclusive teams to push boundaries, free to be ourselves and make our mark in tech.
As a member of the North America Legal Team, you will support our US and Canadian businesses from our Chicago office, building professional experience and learning the practical aspects of applied law along the way. You will learn the functions of Thoughtworks’ business, helping to assist on commercial transactions, undertake research, review standard documents and routine contracts and prepare routine filings.
You’ll spend time on the following:
- You will assist with reviewing and drafting legal documents and contracts (e.g., NDAs, service contracts and vendor agreements)
- You will support the business in contract and record management and tracking
- Research and provide legal advice on legal and compliance requirements
- General commercial and contractual risk management
- Work closely with the Demand, Finance, People and InfoSec teams on various matters to support the business
- Correspond with employees and other functions within the company
- Coordinate with colleagues from other Group companies outside of North America
- Draft, review or negotiate commercial agreements for a professional services or technology firm
- Intellectual property and software licensing, especially open source
- Employment law issues
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- This position is for a new or recent law school graduate, who assists more senior law department professionals.
- The position may be recently admitted to the bar and typically has 0-3 years working experience.
- A natural communicator, you’re a pro at presenting ideas and can easily build credibility and trust across a diverse range of people
- You have a passion for learning and are open minded to change and new ideas
- Your speaking, writing and editing skills are top notch; bonus points if you are fluent in Spanish
- You’re analytical and business minded with a knack for detail
- You’re at your best when you’re operating under pressure, navigating ambiguous situations and collaborating with others to solve problems
- You have hawk-like attention to detail but can also see the big picture
- You’re comfortable working independently with minimal supervision
- Anticipating the needs of others comes naturally for you; you’re also able to hold many different possibilities and conflicting viewpoints in mind and devise a solution
- You don’t shy away from conflict or strong opinions, you embrace them and integrate different viewpoints into your work