Attorney - Contract Manager at SMS Assist
SMS Assist Summary
At SMS Assist, we’re not just in the business of fixing properties—we’re fixing an entire industry. Typically, facilities maintenance is tough work—both in the nature of the job (plumbing, HVAC, snow removal) and the lack of clarity throughout the experience. We decided a better way wasn’t only possible, but essential. Through our award-winning technology platform, built and powered by SMSers, we connect local contractors to our customers and help manage an experience that surpasses expectations.
Recognized on Forbes’ Cloud 100 list, Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, Chicago Crain’s Top Tech Employers, and more, SMS Assist manages more than 186,000 properties where people live and work. Our customers’ livelihoods are in our hands—think a restaurant manager whose only fryer goes down on a busy Friday night or a family in Florida without power after a hurricane. We work across the industries that make up your community, including retail, food service, banking, residential, and more, and we help them find the right provider in our network (we call them Affiliates) in more than 45 trades.
We’re innovators, disruptors, and out-of-the-box thinkers. We set each other up for success in the office and for the perfect spike on the volleyball court during an intramural game. We’re community volunteers, karaoke partners, and lifelong friends. We’re passionate about the people we serve, and we give our all because we care. We want to make every property better, and we want your help to make it happen.
The Attorney, Contract Manager role supports the business by reviewing, managing, and negotiating commercial agreements as part of the Legal Department. This includes negotiating agreements directly with suppliers, working with senior attorneys on more complex agreements, ensuring efficient management of the contracting process, and accurately documenting each contract. The role will require diligence, teamwork, and strong project management skills to advance multiple projects to completion and work seamlessly across all business units to ensure quick turnaround of agreements.
- Review, negotiate, and manage the following types of agreements: non-disclosure agreements, service agreements, license agreements, and other commercial agreements
- Draft, manage and keep scopes of work, insurance requirements, service level agreements, and other vendor documents current and in compliance with SMS Assist’s risk management policies
- Serve as the point of contact for internal business owners on contractual matters, ensuring timely contract review and approval, efficient contract management, and consistent follow-up on key compliance issues
- Provide redlined recommendations to ensure efficient contract management and conserve managing attorneys’ time
- Appropriately manage contracts to match customer/vendor needs, requirements, and expectations with SMS Assist’s contracting strategies, business objectives, and other contract conditions
- Communicate and coordinate with stakeholders, including responding to inquiries, requests for clarification, etc. regarding contracts and terms/conditions or other items
- Record key contract data and conduct various analyses and modeling of contract data
- Act as record-keeper by maintaining a database of all contracts, contract statuses, and ensuring contract compliance
- Ensure execution of approved and finalized customer contracts; including timely and accurate hand-off to internal partners/stakeholders
- Monitor existing contracts using approved performance methodologies, tools, etc.; including identifying and recommending opportunities for improvement
- Organize and prioritize workload so as to most efficiently enable and facilitate team efforts to accomplish company goals, and anticipate and identify current and future needs
- Share information and offer ideas and solutions in a team environment
- Maintain client confidence by keeping company/attorney information confidential
- Foster a positive team environment
- Ensure confidentiality of internal and external data
- Perform ad-hoc projects and other duties as assigned
These are the professional skills we would expect from an individual fully established in this role.
- Customer Service - Advanced
- Verbal Communication - Advanced
- Written Communication - Expert
- Teamwork - Advanced
- Relationships - Advanced
- Negotiation - Advanced
- Organizational Awareness - Advanced
- Learning Agility - Advanced
- Analysis - Advanced
- Problem Solving - Advanced
- Process Orientation - Advanced
- Prioritization - Advanced
Role Specific Skills
- Excellent organization with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment under deadline pressure
- Demonstrated attention to detail, with advanced skills in identifying legal and compliance issues
- Ability to proactively take ownership of projects and taking initiative to achieve ideal outcomes
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong persuasive skills and high level of professionalism
- Fluent in the Microsoft Office suite, specifically Word, Excel and Outlook
- Undergraduate Degree required
- Juris Doctor Degree required
- Admission to a State Bar (preferably Illinois)
- 1-4 years of legal experience
Other Relevant Qualifications
- Previous law firm experience is a plus
- Project management experience
- Knowledge of aspects of contract law, tax law, accounting, securities law, bankruptcy, intellectual property rights, licensing, zoning laws, and the laws specific to the business
Please note, this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities, and schedule may change at any time with or without notice.
SMS Assist is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reasons prohibited by law.