Chief of Staff & Head of Legal Operations at Flexport
Flexport helps more than 10,000 clients and suppliers lead all aspects of their supply chain operations. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3BN from investors that include the Founders Fund, Google Ventures, First Round Capital, Bloomberg Beta, Y Combinator, & Softbank.
With 1,500+ employees in three continents, our team is as global as our client base and we’re excited to continue building a product and service they love. Wherever you are, whichever role you play, you’re guaranteed to share your day with committed, encouraging, and resourceful team members.
The Legal department has grown alongside the business and we are looking to hire a leader to create durable, scalable and sustainable programs and operations to support and fuel our exciting growth plans.
As our Chief of Staff & Head of Legal Operations, you’ll join a small and mighty team, working alongside our Chief Legal Officer, Deputy General Counsel, VP of Regulatory Compliance, and cross-functional leaders to lead strategic planning and operations for the global legal department and strategic initiatives in partnership with various business teams across the globe.
This role is a great opportunity for someone with a passion for technology, excellent problem-solving skills and an ability to thrive in a fast-paced, changing environment that requires cross-functional collaboration across the legal and business teams. If you are a problem solver who is excited to lead strategic initiatives, create order out of chaos and get things done, this is the role for you.
- Lead Strategy:
- Design, build, and lead the execution of cross functional strategic initiatives with senior business leaders
- Create and execute legal department strategic initiatives including team offsites, annual planning, OKR development and budget
- Serve as a key and trusted advisor to the Chief Legal Officer, Deputy General Counsel, and VP of Regulatory Compliance
- Build a Legal Operations function:
- Build and enhance current internal team tools (SOPs, training materials, FAQs, internal Legal website material content, internal and external ticketing system support and support scripts), corporate governance & entity management SOPs and tools, design and launch a comprehensive contract management system
- Maximize productivity by creating structure and strategic dashboard solutions to report and track key operational metrics for enhanced decision-making in collaboration with data analytics team members
- Evaluate and manage outside counsel to drive maximum impact, cost savings and ensure a diverse panel of outside advisors
- Project Manage:
- Management of various intra-department projects as they arise including global contract negotiations, M&A and integration processes, creation and launch of new legal and compliance policies and procedures at the Company
- BA/BS and 5+ years of experience in either project management, Chief of Staff, Legal Operations, or similar roles
- JD, bar admission to practice, and legal and/or regulatory practice experience is a plus
- Management experience is a plus
- A proven track record as a problem solver and ability to assess risks and provide sound commercially-minded legal advice
- Excellent communication and project management skills, and the ability to work independently
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to coordinate effectively and gain trust/confidence with personnel at many different levels
- Excitement to work as a team member of Flexport’s legal department in a scalable, autonomous, and accountable manner
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.