Upwork is the world's largest freelancing website. Each year $1.5 billion of work happens through Upwork, allowing businesses to get more done and helping professionals break free of traditional time and place boundaries and work anytime, anywhere on projects they love. At Upwork, you'll help build on this momentum. Together, we'll create economic and social value on a global scale, providing a trusted online workplace for businesses to connect with extraordinary talent and work without limits.
The award-winning Upwork Legal & Policy team loves to work on cutting-edge legal issues, generate creative business solutions to enable the company’s continued growth in a compliant manner, and enable the new world of remote work for millions of independent professionals and clients globally in over 180 countries. We also possess a passion for what we do. The Upwork legal team was the recipient of The Recorder’s prestigious 2016 Legal Department of the Year (Emerging Companies) award. The team also was recognized by The Financial Times in 2014 as One of Top 25 Most Innovative In-House Legal Teams in North America.
This unique in-house opportunity is tailor-made for a commercial attorney who enjoys autonomy and thrives on making an impact. You will be working closely with Upwork’s commercial attorneys and others on the Legal & Policy team to create a foundation for years to come. You will lead the negotiation, documentation and analysis of technology, licensing and sales agreements, with customers of all sizes and will directly interface with internal clients ranging from, among others, our Sales, Marketing, HR and Finance teams.
The Upwork Legal & Policy team is one that believes each of its team members is super equipped to figure out the hardest problems with minimal supervision. The team prides itself on being enablers for the business, our colleagues and our users -- their success is our success. The team also likes to laugh a bunch too. We are not micromanagers, not know-it-alls, and not empire builders.
- Review, draft and manage enterprise sales focused commercial agreements.
- Work closely with our business development colleagues to draft and negotiate partnership agreements.
- Assist with commercial leases as Upwork expands to new offices.
- Help the commercial team scale, by preparing, implementing, and refining forms, playbooks, systems, processes, and procedures.
- Influence and build relationships with executives, product teams, and peers across Upwork.
- Collaborate with subject matter experts at Upwork to analyze and communicate legal risks.
What it takes to catch our eye:
- A minimum of five to seven years of experience with technology transactions relating to the Internet, SaaS, enterprise software and mobile.
- Experience in drafting, negotiating, and managing sales contracts, licenses, alliance and partnership agreements and intellectual property agreements.
- Prior in-house experience, especially at a top Internet / SaaS company
- Prior AmLaw 100 law firm experience.
How to really knock our socks off:
- A real passion for Upwork’s mission of providing economic opportunity so people have better lives.
- Strong oral and written communication skills—the ability to explain complex issues and concepts in straightforward, everyday terms.
- Able to demonstrate close collaboration with stakeholders at a company.
- Nuanced legal analysis and advisory skills to provide advice and options to meet business needs while protecting the company.
- Eagerness to collaborate cross-functionally with partners across the company.
- Ability to prioritize and juggle many projects effectively -- big and small.
- Track record of influencing others in challenging discussions.
- High emotional intelligence and self-confidence.
- Strong judgment.
- Good sense of humor
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork you’ll help shape the future of work. From our offices in San Francisco, Mountain View and Chicago, together we’re creating exciting new opportunities for a world of professionals. You’ll be part of a vibrant culture built on shared values: Inspire a boundless future of work, Put our community first, Have a bias towards action, and Build amazing teams. Along the way you’ll have fun and enjoy the perks of a people-first company: Work from Home Wednesday's, daily breakfast and lunch, regular in-office happy hours, top-notch benefits … and more. Check out Upwork’s spotlight on The Muse for a glimpse of our daily work/life balance.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.