Corporate Counsel at Jellyvision
Jellyvision is hiring a Corporate Counsel
Who we are
We at Jellyvision are the proud parents of ALEX, a platform that saves employees and their employers money by making tricky decisions—like choosing and using employee benefits—less confusing and more enjoyable. The success of ALEX has exceeded our wildest work-related dreams, which is why we need an experienced Corporate Counsel to help us continue on our journey.
How you’ll help
Your two biggest responsibilities are (a) to negotiate fair terms for our software subscriptions, and (b) to help keep us legally compliant – doing both with care, style, and delight.
What you’ll do
- The bread and butter of your role will be focused on deals. As a growth tech company, we are buying services, software, and support galore -- and, happily, we are selling even more, often to the Fortune 500 companies that we’re proud to call our customers. At Jellyvision, we read our contracts carefully, draft our contracts clearly, and agree only to terms that are mutually fair and that we know we can satisfy. That requires careful review, creative drafting, respectful negotiation, and internal vetting with collaboration across the organization. You should have good business judgment and the confidence to suggest creative solutions to identified risks.
- Beyond that, Jellyvision faces every type of legal issue you would expect from a SaaS company. From regulatory compliance to human resources to content review to privacy to intellectual property to data security, among many other areas -- legal is a critical partner in running and managing our business, so a passion for any of these is a plus.
- You should anticipate legal risk and come up with appropriate means to mitigate such risk while partnering with business to get to a “yes” answer whenever possible.
- And ideally do all of the above while suggesting and implementing systemic changes that improve our speed and quality, too.
- You’ll report to the General Counsel. At present, you both will be the only lawyers at Jellyvision.
Experience you’ll need
- 3+ years of experience as a licensed attorney, preferably handling transactional work.
- Significant experience negotiating contract terms to close deals.
- High work quality and ability to resolve time sensitive issues with a high degree of precision.
- Ability to stay cool under pressure and manage a high-volume workload without sacrificing quality.
- Background with information security, compliance, and/or privacy are all pluses.
- Fintech or benefits tech experience not required – but also a plus.
- Admission to the State Bar of Illinois is preferred -- ability to practice law in Illinois is required.
- Impeccable integrity and strong analytical skills.
Skills you’ll need
- Effective communication – both written and oral.
- Excellent judgment and decision quality – we have a seasonal business and will need you to run deals with little oversight during our peak selling season.
- Accountability – we’re a company of people who do what we say we’re going to do.
- Resilience – grit matters.
- Bias towards action – we’re looking for someone who not only sees ways to improve but who will also lead the charge on making said changes.
- Attention to detail – like, a lot.
How do I apply?
We look forward to hearing about you and what you do. Please make sure your application includes:
- A cover letter that highlights three reasons you think you’d be great for the gig, focusing on how your past experience has prepared you for this kind of position. We’re interested in learning who you are, what you love to do, and why you’d like to bring those skills to Jellyvision.
- Your resume.
Our credo is a simple one: be helpful. And we think we can be most helpful if our workforce is as diverse in thought, perspective, and culture as the people who use our products. We are looking to add amazing people to our team who will bring diversity across many lines, including race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, sex, and country of origin.
Thanks for your interest in Jellyvision!