Rocket Travel, a subsidiary of Booking Holdings, is seeking a Corporate Counsel to join our team. Based in Chicago, this is a new role as the initial in-house attorney at Rocket Travel. The role would support all legal and compliance matters relating to the business including supporting contract negotiations with partners and suppliers, advising on data privacy or consumer protection regulations, providing input on marketing efforts, and all other generalist-focused legal needs (e.g., IP, tax, litigation, employment). The role requires good judgment, a strong work ethic, the ability to excel in a dynamic environment and outstanding interpersonal skills.
The ideal candidate:
- JD degree from nationally recognized law school
- Licensed attorney, in good standing, in the State of Illinois or elsewhere in the U.S.
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience practicing law, preferably in e-commerce, digital marketing and/or travel. Experience negotiating commercial contracts, preferably within the travel industry (airline, hotel and/or travel partners)
- Deep knowledge on data privacy and consumer protection laws is helpful
- Pragmatic and commercially-focused approach to handling legal matters, providing a good balance of risk taking and judgment with unquestionable integrity, credibility and character, displaying high moral and ethical behavior at all times
- Comfortable working with different teams, across brands and affiliates, in-person or remotely
- Thrives in a dynamic, fast-paced environment with rapidly changing priorities
- Ability to problem-solve, multi-task, and manage simultaneous projects under deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to synthesize, analyze and communicate complex legal issues to various business partners
Duties and responsibilities:
- Negotiating and drafting commercial agreements, including with airlines, hotel suppliers, travel agency partners, vendors, and other third parties, as well as agreements for digital advertising, and technology licensing
- Reviewing new products and features concerning legal and regulatory compliance, and advising the product development teams on relevant risks and mitigation thereof
- Reviewing advertising, PR, and other related marketing materials to ensure compliance with applicable legal and regulatory requirements
- Owning and updating legal administration and governance for the company, including contract management, data privacy, security and retention policies, and terms and conditions maintenance
- Liaising with external legal counsel and affiliate companies, as needed and as required for input and advice
- Handling any other legal issues or litigations as they arise, including customer, regulatory, and/or employee matters
A typical day might include:
- Working with the commercial team to conduct legal review and edit of agreements with a new business partner
- Working with affiliated legal teams of our corporate parent to draft an intercompany agreement
- Soliciting legal advice from external counsel to understand and address an outstanding legal issue
- Working with business partners on an upcoming contract renewal;
- Advising the product team on legal concerns, risks or challenges related to a testing a new product or feature
- Writing up a new internal policy
Rocket Travel is a place where you:
- Own decisions and take action that can be implemented in a matter of days.
- Work with intrinsically motivated folks with a track record for building new businesses from scratch
- Receive a competitive compensation package, including bonus, health and dental insurance,and travel benefits
- Have the flexibility to work remotely or telecommute when needed
- Share your passion for travel with similar-minded people
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.