Counsel at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
Under the direction of a Director, responsible for moderate and higher complexity legal matters and projects including providing legal advice, direction and training to assigned in-house business partners in accordance with legal parameters, supporting a risk-aware culture and ensuring effective risk management practices in accordance with relevant laws, regulations, and company policies. Reviews, drafts, negotiates and approves moderately complex to complex contracts that accurately reflect business requirements while minimizing risk to Discover.
- Reviews, drafts, negotiates and processes moderately and higher complexity agreements, ensuring that corporate and legal guidelines around contracts are followed. Determines the appropriate contract template to use for a transaction and draft supplementary contract language.
- Under the oversight of a Director, provides proactive, strong, timely advice in support of the Payments business teams as assigned and needed.
- Acts as subject matter expert (SME) in the Payments transactions area to provide advice, guidance and support for the processing of Payments transactions, in consultation with business partners and subject matter experts as appropriate. Identifies legal issues and risk and understands/mitigates the impact to Discover.
- Continuously improves processes; creates and delivers training as needed.
- Ensures that contracts, programs, projects, and assigned policies, procedures and controls are implemented in order to remain compliant with laws, regulations and any company reporting requirements. Provides proactive, timely and comprehensive risk management support by adhering to required standards and processes.
- Identifies, assesses, and communicates information to business clients related to emerging topics and best practices, and provides oversight and strategic guidance on new or proposed legal and regulatory requirements, emerging legal and regulatory risks and trends. Communicates effectively with clients, customers, leadership, committees, regulators and counterparties as applicable. Escalates issues to management, as needed.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Juris Doctor degree
- 2+ years of legal experience, preferably in Consumer financial services (including payments, credit card, mortgage, student loans and deposit products) or related
- Active Law License in good standing upon hire
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.