Director, Legal + Compliance
UI LABS is a tech organization driving the digital future of manufacturing and cities. We help companies solve problems far too big for them to solve on their own and connect them to innovators at universities and startups. By guiding our more than 300 partners through complex projects, we help them deliver cutting-edge solutions to their customers, improve their financial performance, and transform industries. UI LABS encompasses the Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation Institute (DMDII) and City Tech Collaborative.
+ Position Overview
The Director, Legal + Compliance will provide UI LABS, DMDII, and City Tech with legal guidance, counseling, contracting, and compliance support. This problem solver will report to the Chief Business Officer + General Counsel (CBO + GC), supervise the Manager of Contracts, and will assist in advising management at all levels in the organization.
The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of government and commercial contracting, including compliance, and can support a wide variety of day-to-day and strategic legal and compliance issues. Successful candidates will have experience in-house at a university tech transfer office, government contractor, compliance-focused organization, and/or a big law firm.
UI LABS understands the importance of this role/function and is looking for an experienced, organized, and detail-oriented legal professional with an ability to manage and prioritize a broad range of tasks. The ideal candidate should be solutions-oriented and bring a point of view to the team. The Director, Legal + Compliance will work collaboratively while operating the legal and compliance function with a high level of autonomy.
+ Key Responsibilities
- Serve as in-house counsel to advise on government and commercial contracting, intellectual property issues, vendor contracts, employment agreements, non-disclosure agreements and other legal issues.
- Work closely with CBO + GC to understand the needs of the organization and provide guidance on all areas of law affecting UI LABS, including corporate, nonprofit, intellectual property, tech transfer, member and project agreements, regulatory compliance, contracts, and risk management.
- Negotiate, draft, and interpret a variety of agreements between a broad range of industry, academic, and/or government organizations and partners on behalf of the organization.
- Oversee continuous improvement of compliance and contracting processes using best practices to increase efficiency and effectiveness.
- Assist in the creation/revision of policies
- Collaborate with finance on standard operating procedures and cost analysis
+ Position Requirements
- JD degree
- At least 5 years’ experience supporting government contracting and compliance
- Passion for the mission of transforming industries through digital technologies
- Ability to adapt and respond to changing work situations and responsibilities as well as work collaboratively and effectively at all levels of the organization
- Detail-oriented and organized self-starter with an ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously across a diverse and talented team
- Good judgment with an ability to evaluate and advise on risk in complex situations
- Ability to approach problems creatively and be a solutions-oriented leader
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with experience successfully negotiating with external clients
+ Work with Us
UI LABS is a results-oriented, lean, collaborative tech organization and 501(c)(3) nonprofit. We are hard-working, mission-driven, flexible, and work with a sense of urgency. We hire tech-savvy, committed, self-starters who can think outside the box, and have a strong capacity to learn and adapt to the needs of the organization and role through both skill and grit. All-star employees excel without the help of administrative support, and don’t mind rolling up their sleeves and getting their hands dirty (figuratively!). Additionally, people who love to solve problems, no matter how big or small, find they are a good fit for UI LABS.
Our LEED Certified, state-of-the-art facility features 12 conference rooms and event spaces, a manufacturing floor, and a bustling open-office environment. UI LABS is a collaborative space, hosting many events for our partners and other prestigious organizations. Being able to engage with staff and visitors in a positive, professional, helpful manner is critical.
Located on Goose Island in Chicago (just north of downtown), UI LABS is a 10-minute walk from the North and Clybourn Red Line stop, a 20-minute walk from the Division Blue Line stop, and accessible by a variety of other public transit options; additionally, we have free parking available for employees.
+ Anti-Discrimination Policy and Commitment to Diversity
UI LABS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, committed to creating a diverse environment in our workplace, our communities, and within the tech industry. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, disability status, economic circumstance, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.