Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
Affirm, Inc., seeks an upbeat and talented lawyer to join its lean and mighty Legal team as Product Counsel. Based in San Francisco, this individual will report to the Managing Counsel over Product, and will be primarily responsible for advising on new consumer credit products and features to existing products. The best candidate will be flexible enough to manage a wide range of projects and matters in support of Affirm’s multiple strategic objectives.
Come join us in our mission to change consumer finance through better technology, lower costs, and increased transparency while providing the best customer experience!What You’ll Do
- Counsel Affirm business teams regarding legal issues related to product development from inception to production
- Provide strategic advice to Product on legal issues related to state and federal lending laws
- Monitor and analyze state and federal legal and regulatory developments in consumer lending and servicing
- Be a trusted advisor within the legal team and support other team members when needed and by sharing subject matter expertise with consumer protection and lending laws
- Understand company-wide KRIs, KPIs, and other metrics to in order to develop systems and processes to support Affirm’s rapid expansion in the product and e-commerce area and beyond if necessary
- Identify and evaluate business and legal risks, and find creative ways to mitigate them while achieving business goals.
- Work across a spectrum of complex legal, business, and strategic issues.
- J.D. degree and a state bar member in good standing
- 10+ years of legal experience related to consumer protection laws, product development, fintech, and financial services; in-house experience is preferable
- Proven experience as a key contributing member of a high performing team
- Inquisitive and proactive in identifying legal issues & risks and proposing creative and effective solutions
- Proven track record of fostering relationships across all levels and operating through influence, with the confidence to formulate, advocate and drive ideas forward
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to demonstrate diplomacy in sensitive situations, and to interact effectively with senior management
- Highly disciplined, able to make independent decisions and work with limited supervision while excelling in a fast-paced, dynamic and demanding environment
- Inquisitive nature and comfort challenging current practices
- Experience in leading and delivering cross-functional initiatives, with the ability to collaborate with business and functional experts to provide risk assessment guidance, recognize risks and design enhancements
- Strong project management, critical thinking and analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to present sophisticated issues in a clear and persuasive manner
- Passion for improving consumer credit products and customer experiences
We’re excited to announce that Affirm is now a remote-first company! This role can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of Quebec). Remote based employees may occasionally travel to an Affirm office for meetings or team building events. Our offices in San Francisco, New York City, Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Salt Lake City will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis.
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.