Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.Job Description Position: The Director, Sr. Counsel and Assistant Secretary- Public Company will be responsible for all securities, corporate governance and capital markets matters for a $100bn bank holding company. This role will have significant interactions with the highest levels of management at the Company and the Board of Directors. The successful candidates will partner effectively with various stakeholders throughout the company to drive results and outcomes and will manage a seasoned team comprised of 1 attorney, 2 paralegals and an administrative assistant.Responsibilities:
- Provide advice regarding securities law disclosure obligations and best practices for all of Discover’s securities filings and draft and prepare significant portions of the 10-K, 10-Qs, 8-Ks and Proxy Statement
- Provide advice and counsel in connection with the Company’s earnings releases, earnings call scripts and Q&A, investor presentations, SEC comment letters, internal and external management presentations and other external/internal communications including through social media
- Serve as the subject matter expert on the use of Non-GAAP accounting measures and Regulation FD
- Oversee preparations for and the successful execution of the annual shareholders meeting
- Responsible for the company’s insider trading policy, managing the trading window, preparing and filing Section 16 reports, and putting into place 10b5-1 trading plans for executives
- Serve as a member of and counsel to the Company’s disclosure committee
- Corporate Governance
- Oversee and manage the day-to-day operations of the Corporate Secretary’s office and manage 2 paralegals and an administrative assistant supporting the Corporate Secretary’s office
- Oversee and manage an attorney responsible for corporate governance matters and board meetings related to DFS’ subsidiaries including Discover Bank
- Provide legal support to the DFS Board of Directors and committees on all corporate governance matters; develop and draft meeting agendas to comply with all legal and regulatory obligations while maximizing time for substantive and effective oversight
- Responsible for the onboarding and off-boarding of new directors
- Advise on Delaware corporate law, charter and bylaw provisions, governance guidelines, independence and related party transactional matters
- Responsible for maintaining compliance with NYSE listing standards
- In partnership with investor relations and a cross functional group, lead the Company’s ESG program, including the development of ESG driven disclosures
- Transactional Support
- Manage and oversee an attorney responsible for supporting all capital markets activities, including issuance of asset backed securities, preferred stock and unsecured debt
- Corporate Communications
- Provide legal support to the corporate communications team through review of press releases, internal presentations and social media posts
- Juris Doctor and admitted to bar
- 8+ years of relevant experience
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.