General Counsel at Screencastify
We're Screencastify, the #1 screen recorder for Chrome. More than 12 million people use Screencastify every week (!!!) to record, edit and share all sorts of amazing videos. We like to think that we've democratized video creation by making it simpler and more affordable than ever before.
In K-12 classrooms around the world, teachers and students are using Screencastify to create instructional videos, record presentations, give better feedback, and much much more. Our free version is used in more than 70% of US school districts.About the role
Screencastify is rapidly growing. As we get bigger, the stakes get higher and things get more complex. In order to support this growth and ensure it happens smoothly and safely, we're looking for our first in-house legal hire. You'll provide guidance and input from everything from data security to employment to corporate governance, and will be a trusted voice for many critical decisions.Why is this role special?
- Build our legal ops from scratch. You'll be our first in-house legal hire, so you'll have instrumental impact on every business decision that has a legal component or consequence.
- Work with an extremely talented, and collaborative team. A team of less than 5 built a product used by millions of people. We've achieved more than teams 10x our size by solving important problems collaboratively and putting quality above all else.
- Our work has a meaningful impact. Our product is a growing presence in k-12 classrooms. When we do well, we have a direct positive impact on the learning and development of the students in those classrooms. It’s a good feeling.
- Join us at a magical time. We're profitable and support tens of millions of users with a small team, which gives us a huge green field to work with. You'll join at the perfect time to shape how we grow from here.
RequirementsWhat you’ll do:
- As the first in-house legal hire, you will define the legal strategy and build our core legal processes including:
- How we treat and maintain data and privacy
- Risk and risk management
- Contract negotiations
- Template creation and maintenance
- All aspects of Intellectual Property, procurement, labor & employment, corporate issues, etc.
- Provide counsel and advise the CEO and the Board on legal liabilities associated with many areas of the business
- Actively collaborate with other leaders at the company to keep them abreast of changes in processes, laws, and regulations that impact the business
- Evaluate risk factors impacting business decisions and anticipate new issues in developing areas of the law that could impact the company
- Are a practicing attorney with 6+ years of experience in a law firm and/or in-house legal department. In-house counsel experience with a subscription-based technology company would be a major plus.
- Are IAPP certified (highly preferred)
- Have broad experience with a variety of legal matters, including strategic business agreements, commercial contract negotiation, information security and compliance, privacy (COPPA, FERPA, GDPR, etc), corporate governance, intellectual property rights, and international expansion
- Have a strong bias towards action that finds the win/win among parties
- Are comfortable with business metrics and ability to break down complex legal problems into business and legal risks
- Can clearly explain legal issues to business and technology-focused partners and develop practical solutions
- Have a JD and membership in good standing with at least one state bar, and ability to practice law in Illinois
- Competitive compensation package
- Flexible WFH policy
- Generous health / vision / dental insurance contributions
- One Medical membership
- Unlimited PTO