Clearcover is the smarter car insurance company. We use powerful technology to offer drivers better coverage for less money. We’re proud to be one of the fastest growing insurtech startups in the country, and we’re currently looking to add a few more extraordinary people to our team.
What is the role?
A member of the senior leadership team, the General Counsel will serve as the strategic legal executive and trusted advisor to the Chief Executive Officer and executive team and will support all areas of the business. The General Counsel will play an important role in advancing Clearcover’s strategy and business priorities, managing legal and reputational risk and ensuring that the practices, policies and operations of the company meet all legal and regulatory requirements. The General Counsel will be experienced in building high performing teams in innovative and high-growth environments. With a broad legal background, they will be a collaborative, engaged and hands-on leader and risk manager with a mandate to continue to build an effective and efficient legal function to support our rapidly-growing company. They will add substantial value by looking ahead to identify, anticipate and leverage opportunities while mitigating and managing risk.
What will you do?
- Define and execute corporate legal strategy through both internal and external legal resources to optimize the risk/benefit tradeoff related to the legal and regulatory exposures of the Company
- Partner with key decision-makers across the company to support Clearcover’s success in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Provide the legal and regulatory expertise to help drive new business opportunities and growth strategiesAdvise on commercial matters, including partnering with the business to accelerate and streamline commercial agreements, evolving related policies and processes as needed.
- Provide advice and direction on key legal, legislative and regulatory developments which could have a material impact on the company’s finances, competitive positioning and/or reputation.
- Provide guidance on corporate governance matters and relevant laws, rules and regulations, including SEC reporting and disclosure, compensation, and other public company matters if and when Clearcover becomes a public company.
- Proactively monitor and take action to shape and use the evolving policy, legal and regulatory environment to the organization’s advantage.
- Provide prompt legal advice to Clearcover’s business to facilitate, improve and strengthen operational decision-making through integration of legal analysis as part of the overall business development process.
- Build strong relationships and engender trust across the organization; use legal expertise, business savvy and sound reasoning to seek constructive and pragmatic solutions.
- Build, manage and resource Clearcover’s legal function for scale, increasing service levels to align with rapidly growing and increasingly global business; provide coaching, mentorship, training, and development for direct and indirect reports. Leverage technology and optimize processes to enhance performance, productivity and responsiveness.
- Serve as the principal legal advisor on any corporate transactions; manage and support related due diligence, negotiation, preparation of term sheets and definitive agreements, and financing documentation and closing processes. Assist with post-deal integration activities as needed.
- Oversee day-to-day legal function across the breadth of the enterprise and key functions, encompassing data privacy, data governance and records management, international, finance, tax, litigation, intellectual property, human resources and labor and employment matters.
- Select, evaluate and effectively manage outside legal counsel and vendors in a cost-effective manner.
What do you need?
- The successful candidate will have strong academic credentials, including a JD from a well-regarded institution, as well as a state bar membership in good standing.
- Senior, diverse legal experience: legal experience, ideally gained through a combination of law firm and senior in-house roles in a public company setting. Exposure to a broad range of legal disciplines, including corporate, commercial, intellectual property, regulatory, tax and employment matters.
- Public Company Experience: Experience as a sitting General Counsel or other senior legal leader at a public company preferred. Experience providing guidance on corporate governance, SEC reporting and disclosure, and other compliance and regulatory matters. IPO experience preferred.
- Relevant Sector Experience: Experience advising SaaS/software or technology-sector companies is a plus.
- Experience in a Fast-Growing Environment: Demonstrated success in a fast-paced and dynamic organization; experience with a leanly staffed, high-growth entrepreneurial organization preferred. Key Leadership Behaviors
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and analytical skills; ability to partner cross-functionally with a dynamic leadership team.
- Ability to navigate in an ambiguous, fast-moving environment, while also driving toward clarity, efficiency, and results.
- Courage of conviction; intellectual curiosity. Approach that challenges norms and processes; relentlessly identifies ways to add value and position the organization for success.
- Demonstrated agility when building systems and practices required for scale. Attention to detail and the highest standards for accuracy and precision
What's in it for you?
- A fast-paced, high-growth, intellectually stimulating environment
- The opportunity to make a real difference in the company’s success
- A positive, constructive and collaborative work environment
- Equity for all employees, so you own a piece of the pie too
- Dental and Vision, we've got you covered 100%
- Medical, we cover 90% of your premium, 75% of your dependents and contribute to your HSA and HRA (cha-ching)
- We invest in your future by contributing 3% of your salary to a 401(K), even if you don't
- Unlimited vacation, we hire adults
Clearcover is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reasons prohibited by law.