Company: PowerReviewsPosition: General CounselLocation: Chicago, IL
PowerReviews works with more than 1,000 global brands and retailers to increase conversion and improve products and the customer experience with ratings and reviews and Q&A software. Ratings and reviews solutions from PowerReviews are essential for consumers as they search and shop online and in-store, and they are proven to increase online site-wide sales up to 17%.
The General Counsel will be instrumental in matters of commercial contracts, intellectual property, corporate and employment law, insurance and risk management, and litigation, to name a few. The General Counsel must be enthusiastic, enjoy multitasking on a variety of legal projects and welcome challenges that expand professional perspective and skills. He/She will be expected to provide creative solutions that satisfy PowerReviews' needs while minimizing risk. The General Counsel must excel at understanding and balancing practical issues with real-world business needs. This position reports directly to the CFO and oversees the legal team at PowerReviews.
- Manage PowerReviews legal team, control day-to-day legal operations, and drive legal strategy for PowerReviews.
- Educate and provide counsel to PowerReviews executive team on compliance, risk management, legal issues and corporate governance.
- Interpret laws, rulings and regulations and determine how they apply to PowerReviews.
- Draft, negotiate and review contracts.
- Implement legal operating standards and keep current on best practices and regulations.
- Develop and update contract templates and policies.
- Participate in definition and development of corporate policies, procedures and programs and provide continuing counsel and guidance on legal matters and on legal implications of all matters. Serve as key lawyer/legal advisor on major business transactions.
- Advise PowerReviews regarding privacy and data protection law and issues, nationally and internationally.
- Develop strategy regarding PowerReviews intellectual property assets.
- Partner with revenue recognition, sales operations, technology operations, and other stakeholder teams to ensure agreements are consistent with internal corporate policies and processes.
- Partner with Sales and other internal business constituents throughout the customer lifecycle to ensure customer success.
- Partner with Human Resources in policy development and employee relations issues.
- Partner with the Technology Department in negotiating technology contracts, defining data protection standards and IT protection issues.
- Help counsel business units to support business initiatives and internal compliance, in addition to a wide range of legal issues.
- Manage and resolve complex, legal strategic issues
- Oversee the selection, retention, management and evaluation of all outside counsel; oversee outside counsel on major litigation.
- Serve as primary point of contact for Trustee in relation to antitrust related issues.
- Plan and manage the legal budget, including fees from external counsel and advisors.
- Research claims by and against PowerReviews to anticipate and reduce legal risk.
- Investigate, respond to and defend formal charges and complaints.
- Stay up-to-speed on federal and state regulations governing the technology industry in general and PowerReviews in particular.
- Negotiate real estate dealings for all PowerReviews office spaces.
Requirements & Preferred Skills
- J.D.from accredited ABA school; member of the Illinois bar
- Minimum 10 years in a reputable law firm and/or in-house, with an emphasis on corporate law and SaaS companies
- Highly responsive and service-oriented attitude
- Previous experience with corporate development a plus
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage deadlines in a fast-paced and demanding work environment
- Experience negotiating large contracts
- Ability to maintain strong working relationships with demanding internal clients
- Familiarity with, or willingness to learn, technical concepts in Web applications
- Sound and practical business judgment
- Strong deal making skills that go beyond negotiating legal terms and resolving legal issues
- Superior business judgment and the ability to address complex opportunities and issues in creative and effective ways
- Natural leader with a commitment of making those around you better