Founded in 2012 and recently named one of the nation’s fastest-growing private businesses by Inc. Magazine, RedShelf is a Chicago-based EdTech company helping to make education both more affordable and more effective through the use of digital instructional resources. Partnering with more than 400 publishers and 1,900 campuses nationwide, we provide leading-edge digital course materials and an end-to-end Content Delivery System for effortlessly distributing those materials.
The General Counsel/Vice President of Legal will be a key contributor to RedShelf and provide ongoing guidance to the leadership team on all legal matters that affect the business. RedShelf’s General Counsel will optimize and manage the legal department, participate in strategic decision making, oversee the work of outside counsel, and bring a proven ability to function as a business partner across all parts of the operation.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide strategic legal advice to the executive team on the wide variety of matters that arise at a fast-growing education-technology company
- Develop and drive company’s legal strategy
- Manage relationships and budgets for all outside counsel
- Support and grow the legal team as the business and business needs grow
Transactional, Marketplace Integrity, IP, Copyright & Privacy
- Lead and/or support all corporate negotiations and transactions
- Establish and grow a premier legal function to effectively and efficiently support all business functions as RedShelf scales
- Work closely with sales, publishing, marketing, finance, human resources, customer experience, and product teams to provide creative legal solutions that advance and protect the business
- Develop an intellectual property and protection policy, including trademarks and copyright management
- Draft, negotiate and administer various commercial, technology, and corporate agreements
- Manage and scale policies and operational programs to ensure RedShelf’s marketplace remains free of offensive, infringing, or inappropriate content, in concert with the laws that govern marketplaces
- Develop training resources and external guidelines to allow for Legal team to effectively scale
- Proactively neutralize risks and resolve disputes
Education Policy and Government Relations
- Advise on education related legal issues as they relate to RedShelf’s current and future business
- Continually review and analyze legal risks and opportunities for RedShelf stemming from the evolving industry and privacy regulatory environments
- Lead regulatory and governmental affairs to expand market opportunities
Corporate Governance and other Legal Duties
- Oversee all aspects of corporate governance and compliance
- Structure and lead, as needed, any tender offers and/or financing agreements
- Juris Doctor degree and successfully completion of Illinois bar exam
- Admitted to practice law in Illinois
- 10+ years of experience – ideally, includes a mix of law firm and in-house experience
- Experience leading and developing a legal team
Other Desirable Skills/Experience:
- Background working in education and technology is preferred
- Experience with service and license agreements, publishing contracts, NDAs, sponsor contracts, IP, privacy
- Ability to take initiative and with personal accountability
- Prior experience advising executive teams on risk through periods of rapid growth and expansion
- Strong interpersonal and team skills with the ability to work with a wide variety of employees, partners, and stakeholders
- Ideal candidate is self-sufficient and highly motivated, self-directed and possesses high energy and a passion for RedShelf’s mission
RedShelf prides itself on maintaining an informal but fast-moving, hard-working, entrepreneurial culture. Our team members are smart, innovative, and passionate about improving education through digital technology.
We offer the best of both worlds: the energy and opportunity of a rapidly-growing organization, coupled with the stability of an extensive client base, strong financial backing, and proven track record of success. In addition to a forward-thinking environment with ample opportunity for professional and personal growth, our team members enjoy competitive compensation and benefit packages, including company stock options.
RedShelf is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, individuals with a disability, veterans, and others who would enrich the diversity of RedShelf are encouraged to apply.