The General Counsel is responsible for leading corporate strategic and tactical legal initiatives. The General Counsel provides senior management with effective advice on company strategies and their implementation, manages the legal function, and obtains and oversees the work of outside counsel. The General Counsel is directly involved in complex business transactions in negotiating critical contracts.
What You'll Do:
- Participates in the definition and development of corporate policies, procedures and programs and provides continuing counsel and guidance on legal matters and on legal implications of all matters
- Serves as key lawyer/legal advisor on all major business transactions, including acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures
- Judges the merits of major court cases filed against or on behalf of the company, works with the appropriate executive(s) to define a strategic defense and approves settlements of disputes where warranted
- Assumes ultimate responsibility for ensuring that the company conducts its business in compliance with applicable SEC et al. laws and regulations
- Structures and manages the company's internal legal function and staff
- Oversees the selection, retention, management and evaluation of all outside counsel
- Advises on legal aspects of the company's financing, including assessing and advising on current and future business structures and legal entities
What You'll Need:
- JD and admittance to Illinois Bar required
- 7+ years' experience in a law firm environment
- Experience working on matters of corporate governance and with board of directors
- Experience managing other attorneys and supervising support staff
- Experience in directing strategy and managing complex cases
STATS Perform provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetics.