Based out of our Chicago office, the General Counsel (GC) will be responsible for all Group legal matters as well as providing strategic, regulatory and governance advice, managing the internal legal function and overseeing the work of outside counsel.
The GC will be directly involved in complex business transactions, negotiating critical contracts and overseeing litigation that the Company may encounter. Apart from a senior legal background, the Candidate should also have considerable work experience in a regulated financial services firm and should be well versed in global financial services regulations, particularly UK/EU (MiFID) and Australia (ASIC).
The role may involve some travel to the Company’s various overseas offices.
- Managing and completing legal initiatives and programs for the Company globally;
- Conducting legal research and preparing written memos, articles or other explanations;
- Reviewing, drafting and negotiating all manner of contracts general service contracts and other contract documentation;
- Anticipating, identifying, advising on and mitigating legal risk that arises in relation to programs and activities;
- Drafting internal policies and procedures and ensuring compliance;
- Managing all complaints, disputes and litigation, including investigation and risk assessment;
- Managing outside legal counsel and the internal legal department;
- Reviewing international and regional policy documents and consultations and developing the organizational position and response;
- Drafting and negotiating intellectual property licenses, nondisclosure agreements, services contracts, employment agreements and settlement agreements;
- Responsible for corporate governance matters of the Company and its’ global subsidiaries;
- Performance of other related duties at the direction of the Company’s Group CEO.
We are seeking a qualified lawyer with strong academic background and law firm training in a reputable practice with a minimum of 5 years’ post-qualification experience in a financial services environment. Experience working in a brokerage industry is preferred.
- Admitted to practice law as a solicitor in England and Wales, and in good standing with the Solicitors Regulation Authority *or an equivalent jurisdiction;
- LLB or equivalent degree and excellent academic credentials from a reputable law school;
- Minimum 5 years post qualification experience in a financial services environment;
- Experience of working in the brokerage industry preferred but not essential;
- Experience with cost effective management of outside legal resources as required;
- Strong working knowledge of financial services regulations;
- Experience in directing strategy and managing complex litigation;
- Demonstrated experience in and passion for financial regulations and compliance, intellectual property, technology, real estate, commercial contracts and employment law.
- High degree of professional ethics, integrity and gravitas;
- Ability to demonstrate exceptional drafting, problem solving and critical-thinking, project management, independent judgement, analytical, communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with executive management, business partners and regulators;
- Excellent command of written and spoken English;
- Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, Power point.
We will give careful consideration to your application and review your details against the position criteria. You will receive separate notification as your application progresses. Please note that only candidates who meet the minimum criteria for the role will proceed in the selection process.