Global Chief Compliance Officer
The Role: Morningstar, Inc. is seeking an experienced and senior global chief compliance officer to architect, integrate, manage and oversee compliance programs and teams across all of Morningstar’s regulated entities in the United States and international jurisdictions. The role also involves conducting periodic evaluations of Morningstar’s enterprise risks and its progress with risk management activities. Morningstar operates regulated investment advisory, credit rating and index businesses globally, as well as a broker-dealer subsidiary in the United States. Regulated businesses currently operate in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia and six other international jurisdictions. The position will involve interaction with management at the most senior level and with the Board of Directors, as well as senior regional business, product and compliance teams. The successful candidate will have extensive experience in overseeing broad-based compliance programs globally and overseeing a large compliance organization. This role is currently based in Chicago, IL, and reports to Morningstar’s General Counsel.
- Overall responsibility for the design, implementation and effectiveness of compliance programs across the company’s and its subsidiaries’ regulated businesses.
- Oversee periodic enterprise risk management evaluations intended to identify, assess, monitor and mitigate risks that may affect Morningstar generally, so they are managed within acceptable risk tolerance levels.
- Leading and further developing a high performing compliance team that is execution focused and disciplined in approach.
- Working in partnership with regional chief compliance officers and business teams to create a consistent and effective global compliance program.
- Serving as a technical resource for business and product managers regarding compliance and/or regulatory matters.
- Evaluating the company’s products, services and operations for compliance and ethics issues.
- Maintaining a thorough understanding of, and keeping abreast of developments in, securities laws and regulations globally that pertain to Morningstar’s products and services.
- Collaborating with regional chief compliance officers in interpreting new laws/regulations and developing a strategy to follow such laws/regulations within the required regulatory timeframe.
- Mentoring regional chief compliance officers and local compliance professionals on their work and management activities and their career development and goals.
- Promoting a culture of compliance by fostering an environment of open and honest communication with all employees of all levels –reinforcing the importance of conducting oneself in an ethical manner and in the best interests of clients.
- Driving operational efficiencies by setting measurable goals and working on leveraging and deploying new and existing technologies to improve efficiencies in the compliance programs across the organization.
- Preparing materials and making presentations to Morningstar’s senior management or their staff as requested.
- Preparing materials and making presentations to the Morningstar Board of Directors, Audit Committee and other governing bodies and committees about compliance/regulatory matters.
- Representing Morningstar with US and international regulators and overseeing the interactions with such regulators, including the SEC and FCA with regard to exams and other regulatory matters.
- Overseeing the preparation and submission of all regulatory filings for all regulated entities.
- 15+ years’ compliance experience in a compliance department of a large registered investment advisor, broker-dealer or other regulated entity
- Strong analytical and communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Appropriate level of assertiveness, maturity and guidance to effectively project the stature and importance of the compliance function across the organization
- Superior judgment and rigor in relation to problem solving and appropriate escalation of issues
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently and independently, prioritize workflow, meet demanding deadlines, and manage multi-faceted projects in a fast-moving environment
- Willingness to work across time zones globally