Head of Legal at Reverb at Reverb
Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect entrepreneurs with buyers around the world. As an Etsy employee, you’ll tackle unique problems alongside talented coworkers committed to Keeping Commerce Human. We're large enough that you'll focus on meaningful, complex challenges, but small enough that you can make a rewarding impact.Job Description
Etsy is seeking a technology attorney to join the legal team for one of its subsidiaries, Reverb.com (Reverb). As the Head of Legal for Reverb, you will be a key advisor to Reverb’s leadership team, including its product, engineering, marketing and customer support teams. Do you find providing commercial and transactional legal support to a growing global business exciting? If so, this role could be an outstanding match.
Etsy’s global Legal team works with every business unit, across our offices worldwide, to provide timely and business-savvy legal advice. We help teams that design products, draft contracts and policies, advise engineers and leadership, advocate externally, and handle disputes to protect Etsy and our users. We meaningfully support Etsy’s growth by delivering legal and business know-how with a great work ethic.
The position is located in either Brooklyn, NY or Chicago,IL office. We offer flexible workplace policies that can accommodate work from home candidates who are comfortable traveling to either office location 2-3 times per week. There will be travel between offices as well. The role reports to the VP, AGC Commercial who is based in New York.
About the Role:
In this role, you will:
- Be responsible for counseling Reverb on a wide range of legal matters, including commercial, product, marketing, privacy and IP matters.
- Provide technical legal expertise to the Reverb team and the business in all key legal areas.
- Be expected to issue spot and work with SMEs even in areas outside of your primary responsibility, such as: employment law, securities laws, payments regulation or compliance.
- Be comfortable answering new questions, solving uncharted problems, and working collaboratively with business teams to meet the needs of our fast-paced environment.
- Evaluate risks and opportunities related to the company’s media assets and priorities, including marketing campaigns, influencers, content production, technology partnerships, merchandising vetting, and content distribution.
- Interface frequently with the senior leadership at Reverb.
- Be mindful that the company is your client, and advocate and protect your client.
- Of course, this is just a sample of the kinds of work this role will require! You should assume that your role will encompass other tasks, too, and that your job duties and responsibilities may change from time to time at Etsy's discretion, or otherwise applicable with local law
Ideally you bring:
- JD and are admitted to a state bar (preferably NY or IL); and are qualified to work in-house in NY or Chicago.
- 10+ years experience at both a law firm and in-house
- Experience technology attorney dealing with issues related to product development for tech and e-commerce companies.
- Wide portfolio of technology, operational and commercial agreements, and have developed deep knowledge in some areas.
- Deep experience with product development issues, including: web and mobile app development, privacy (US and international regs), intermediary liability, Ad technologies, cookies and trackers, EU and FTC regulations, COPPA, accessibility, and more.
- Experience advising internal clients and business partners on marketing and media-related matters, including advertising campaigns (US/international), social media reviews, and consumer and business insights;
- Experience being the primary point of contact with clients, and taking the lead in managing the legal side of a project.
- Experience reviewing, drafting and negotiating a range of US & international commercial agreements. Especially experienced negotiating indemnities, limitations of liability, intellectual property rights, SAAS agreements, etc.
- Understanding for the dynamics of working predominantly for the subsidiary of a much larger parent company.
- Effective communication skills verbally and in writing- speaking to technical SMEs or business leaders in plain English, without legal jargon
- Excellent presentation skills and experience leading discussions relating to legal risk at the executive level are key.
- Executive presence and are passionate about clearly articulating risk and strategies to mitigate risk to clients and executives.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Excellent business, negotiation and presentation skills. You can read a spreadsheet, build a deck, analyze, and communicate the information into simple, effective messaging to others.
- Embrace goal setting and accountability. Experienced multitasker with excellent time management skills.
- The most important quality for success is good judgment. Knowing when to say “no”, “yes” or “maybe, but...” and you also know when to advance.
- You could work in many places, but you want to work at Etsy and Reverb because you recognize that having the chance to contribute impactful work and grow companies with amazing missions are rare.
- A love for music is a plus!
- A trust in and commitment to Etsy’s vision, mission and values
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.