In-House Counsel at HealthJoy
Let’s keep things simple: we are an unbelievably talented, hard-working, and compassionate team driving towards a mission that impacts every single one of us - even you! Healthcare benefits are complex, underutilized, and a mystery for most users. We’re removing that complexity.
Our industry-leading technology solution puts a simplified benefits experience in the hands of users, saving them time and money. Since the start of the pandemic, we’ve created a COVID-19 resource center, helped members find testing and care, and made it even simpler to get telemedicine and mental health support to employees.
HealthJoy experienced explosive growth in 2020: we raised $30M in Series C funding, earned awards for Talent Culture’s Best HR Technology Leaders and Forbes America’s Best Startup Employers, added 55+ key team members despite going totally remote, and so much more. This year, we continue down that path of high growth and high impact.Your impact.
This is a newly created role that is needed for HealthJoy’s growth and expansion, as well as a recognition of the need to provide legal expertise to the HealthJoy team. This role will bring legal expertise, combined with a strong business acumen, and provide HealthJoy’s business with practical guidance on achieving a best in class approach to contracting and legal risk management. The role will also be responsible for ensuring the right level of external legal support is available and centrally coordinated. We expect that this role will partner closely with key stakeholders and deliver continuous enhancements to effectively mitigate legal risks. More specifically, the In-House Counsel role will require you to:
- Draft, review and negotiate, alongside business personnel, under swift time constraints, a variety of contracts with customers, brokers, vendors and other third parties. Examples include Non-Disclosure Agreements, MSAs, Consulting Agreements, Software License Agreements, Purchase Orders, etc.
- Draft, review and negotiate equity agreements, shareholder’s agreements, employee agreements, and various contracts and/or agreements for personnel.
- Advise the business and operations teams with a clear understanding of the meaning and implication of legal documents to the business, especially on HIPAA and data privacy rules and regulations.
- Work with the People Operations team on employment issues as they arise, using outside counsel as needed.
- Handle, prepare and review documents related to corporate law matters, (pre-) litigation, arbitration and mediation and privacy among other business legal matters.
- Support business leadership by researching and analyzing complex legal issues and providing advice that ensures compliance with rules and regulations.
- Assist with due diligence reviews by gathering necessary information/documents.
- Assist in the development of policies and practices based on federal, state, and local legal requirements.
- Stay current on legal and regulatory issues affecting the company and the industry.
- Manage and coordinate outside counsel, ensuring costs remain within budget.
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree is required.
- Must be fully licensed and in good standing to practice law in Illinois
- Five (5) years previous work experience with contracts and corporate law, with an expertise in SaaS agreement being required.
- Keen attention to detail is a must.
- Self-starter, highly organized, and able to deliver clear, business-oriented legal advice in a simple form in a fast-paced atmosphere is required.
- Team player who can collaborate with an internal team, while delivering with minimal supervision and administrative support is required.
- Proven track record of excellent judgment, analytical ability, critical thinking, and risk management skills are required
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, are required. Will be required to work with all levels within the organization, including those in domestic and foreign teams.
- High degree of professional ethics, morals and integrity are required
- Previous experience working at a software company within a data privacy function strongly preferred
- Familiarity with HIPAA is a plus
Work should be meaningful and rewarding.
HealthJoy offers a robust package of employee perks and benefits, including healthcare benefits (medical, dental and vision, EAP, and telemedicine), flexible PTO plan, 401k+match, parental leave, and HSA contribution match. We also provide our employees with a remote work stipend - to ensure you can work comfortably from home, host virtual-lunch-and-learns, ‘friendship time’ pairings, virtual coffee chats/happy hours, and quarterly team activities.
The best benefit of all? We use our own product. As an employee, you can rely on HealthJoy to feel confident about your own healthcare decisions and get the most out of your unique benefits plan.
HealthJoy is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or any other basis forbidden under federal, state, or local law.