Legal Counsel – Product
Legal | Chicago, Illinois
Our Agreement with Employees
DocuSign is committed to building trust and making the world more agree-able for our employees, customers and the communities in which we live and work. You can count on us to listen, be honest, and try our best to do what’s right, every day. At DocuSign, everything is equal. We each have a responsibility to ensure every team member has an equal opportunity to succeed, to be heard, to exchange ideas openly, to build lasting relationships, and to do the work of their life. Best of all, you will be able to feel deep pride in the work you do, because your contribution helps us make the world better. And for that, you’ll be loved by us, our customers, and the world in which we live.
As a part of our Product, IP and Regulatory Compliance team, you help to further strategic goals, address headwinds and challenges confronted by the business, and preserve the legal and ethical integrity of the company. Constantly immersed in critical, high-level operations, you partner across the business to solve challenging problems and support our growth and progress around the world. Our team focuses on providing thorough business- and tech-savvy legal advice to foster sound decision-making within the Product, Operations and IT, Marketing and Business Development organizations.
Legal Counsel - Product will be a qualified attorney with prior product counseling experience, who will serve as a strategic counselor to our product teams. In this role, you will work with a high octane, collaborative seasoned team of legal professionals. The role has critically important responsibility of serving as a strategic advisor to the business and product development teams to address their various global product and legal needs.
The focus of this position will be working cross-functionality, both within all aspects of the global legal team as well as the various other business functions across the company. You will be responsible for advising how the company can better design products, navigate current and new industry ecosystems, and ensure business and legal alignment with current legal and regulatory requirements and trends. You will regularly collaborate with internal stakeholders, such as Product, Marketing, Business Development and other Legal and HQ functions. This role is strategic to the cross-functional success of both our team and the business at large. Very high impact role with strong professional growth potential. This position is an Individual Contributor, reporting to the Deputy General Counsel, Product, IP and Regulatory Affairs.
• Advise internal company stakeholders on global product and service offerings in order to maintain compliance with legal, regulatory and industry practices, related to new and existing products and features throughout the entire product development lifecycle
• Work collaboratively across multiple functions, including Product, Engineering, Sales, Marketing, and Security as the relevant legal “point of contact” to investigate, help respond to, and manage product issues as they arise with regard to different verticals (e.g., financial services, health and life sciences, public sector, education, etc.)
• Serve as the subject matter expert on industry vertical issues impacting DocuSign and its service offerings, including impact from domestic and international legal frameworks
• Coordinate across business lines to keep current on business activities and future plans, collect necessary information and data, assess applicable laws and regulations, and assist and advise business partners in the implementation of regulatory requirements.
• A minimum of 8 years of relevant legal experience
• Experience dealing with product counseling, tech transactions, issues of first impression, helping facilitate operationalizing and scaling organizations, engaging external ecosystem stakeholders (e.g., trade associations, industry groups, etc.)
• Must be a member in good standing of a recognized U.S. bar
• Excellent judgment, attention to detail and ability to work independently
• Strong organizational and project management skills
• Comfortable working in a fast-paced, high activity environment, and able to handle ambiguity, juggle many matters at once and quickly shift from one situation or task to another
• Ability to effectively collaborate cross-functionally across teams with a team attitude that no job is too big or too small
• Talent for thinking outside of the box in confronting new issues and pursuing novel approaches to old problems
DocuSign® is changing how business gets done by empowering hundreds of thousands of companies and tens of millions of users in most countries around the world to sign, send and manage documents anytime, anywhere, on any device with confidence. DocuSign replaces printing, faxing, scanning and overnighting documents with the easiest, fastest, most trusted way to make every approval and decision digital. Organizations of all sizes and industries are accelerating contracts, approvals and workflows with DocuSign's Digital Transaction Management (DTM) platform and eSignature solution. DocuSign keeps life and business moving forward.
DocuSign is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at DocuSign are considered without regards to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.